Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: running out of disk space when cp -Rp

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7

    running out of disk space when cp -Rp

    Hi all:

    I am back to updating a live CD I created a while back. I want to start from scratch with the latest KNOPPIX. I am following the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto. In step 2 when performing the
    cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    command I constantly get
    file name too long
    errors and after quite some time I am getting
    no space left on device
    it hasn't even finished copying the
    /dev
    folder and I am using an empty 8 Gig partition to copy the source files to.

    I searched the forums and haven't come across anybody experiencing something similar. Wondering if anybody had an idea.

    Alternatively I tried tried to loop mount the KNOPPIX compressed file. I tried it manually and with
    extract_compressed_fs
    I am always getting errors like this
    [root (knx)]# extract_compressed_fs KNOPPIX > knoppix.img
    230037291 blocks of size 3977919309. Preamble:
    hsqsÅ+
    lseek to 16136247860849191167: Invalid argument
    Thanks in advance

    AR

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: running out of disk space when cp -Rp

    Quote Originally Posted by loonix
    Hi all:

    I am back to updating a live CD I created a while back. I want to start from scratch with the latest KNOPPIX. I am following the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto. In step 2 when performing the
    cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    command I constantly get
    file name too long
    errors and after quite some time I am getting
    no space left on device
    it hasn't even finished copying the
    /dev
    folder and I am using an empty 8 Gig partition to copy the source files to.

    I searched the forums and haven't come across anybody experiencing something similar. Wondering if anybody had an idea.

    Alternatively I tried tried to loop mount the KNOPPIX compressed file. I tried it manually and with
    extract_compressed_fs
    I am always getting errors like this
    [root (knx)]# extract_compressed_fs KNOPPIX > knoppix.img
    230037291 blocks of size 3977919309. Preamble:
    hsqsÅ+
    lseek to 16136247860849191167: Invalid argument
    Thanks in advance

    AR

    I have sucessfully followed the wiki howto also and remastered a Knoppix 5.11 CD.

    As you are updating a Live CD you created a while ago, I wonder if some of the filesnames on your disk were not truncated to the
    Rockridge or Juliet standard. Another way of proving this is by downloading the knoppix 5.11 image and copying all files names again.

    AS for disk space, I presume you have an empty hard drive as you are copying to hda1.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for your reply

    I am actually using the KNOPPIX CD to start of from not my existing live CD.

    Yes the drive is totally empty.

    In the meantime I was able to loop mount the KNOPPIX compressed file system on my gentoo machine and was able to extract the files.

    So, I guess I solved it in a way but still did not manage to successfully follow the process using the wiki.

    I keep at it and post updates here

    Thanks

    AR

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    I also found a couple of errors (or maybe changes in knoppix 5.11) that I had to rework in order to use the wiki procedure, some to do with /etc/skel and altering kde menus and a final one in making the iso image. mkisofs is symlinked to genisofs and I could not get it to accept the "1" option at all. The man page of mkisofs descibes option 1 but each time I used it, it failed to generate an iso image, only way was to omit option 1 altogether.

Similar Threads

  1. running out of space
    By doglover in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
  2. Knoppix Live -> Install / Reccomended disk space
    By inflames989 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 05:54 AM
  3. Disk Problem - Help to recover 4G disk space
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
  4. How much disk space do I need for Knoppix installation?
    By paparazzo79 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM
  5. disk space after upgrade
    By babelbrennt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00