Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Trouble copying files to USB flash drive

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dtherio
    ....and installed WinSCP as recommended...

    ....I get that same error ....

    Any ideas?

    Basically I need to copy files......
    I know nothing about WinSPC, don't even know what it is or care enough to look it up. However, I've recovered files across a network from a bad windows system to a good windows system with Knoppix many times. If you want to learn more about Linux and WinSPC and what is going wrong here, I can't really be of help. If you want to recover your files, I suggest doing what I already suggested in this thread: Install a free Windows FTP server on the good windows destination system. Boot Knoppix on the "bad" system. Confirm that you can ping the good system (check the firewall of the "good" system if you can't, or recheck your IP addresses). Connect by FTP using Konquror as the FTP client under Knoppix. Check the "good" system's firewall if you can't, or recheck the FTP server configuration. Transfer the files that you want by FPT. It will work and be much faster than any Microsoft based networking. You'll also find it extremely handy to have the skill to download install and configure an FTP server on a WIndows system whenever needed. Takes about 5 minutes or less once you do it a few times.

    And, if like the original poster, you are also trying to get wireless networking working under Knoppix, I strongly suggest that you just plug the computer into the network with a wired connection and get your files. Play with wireless after you have the needed data. Wireless support in Knoppix is not good for most hardware.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Hello Harry,

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by dtherio
    ....and installed WinSCP as recommended...

    ....I get that same error ....

    Any ideas?

    Basically I need to copy files......
    I know nothing about WinSPC, don't even know what it is or care enough to look it up. However, I've recovered files across a network from a bad windows system to a good windows system with Knoppix many times. If you want to learn more about Linux and WinSPC and what is going wrong here, I can't really be of help. If you want to recover your files, I suggest doing what I already suggested in this thread: Install a free Windows FTP server on the good windows destination system. Boot Knoppix on the "bad" system. Confirm that you can ping the good system (check the firewall of the "good" system if you can't, or recheck your IP addresses). Connect by FTP using Konquror as the FTP client under Knoppix. Check the "good" system's firewall if you can't, or recheck the FTP server configuration. Transfer the files that you want by FPT. It will work and be much faster than any Microsoft based networking. You'll also find it extremely handy to have the skill to download install and configure an FTP server on a WIndows system whenever needed. Takes about 5 minutes or less once you do it a few times.

    And, if like the original poster, you are also trying to get wireless networking working under Knoppix, I strongly suggest that you just plug the computer into the network with a wired connection and get your files. Play with wireless after you have the needed data. Wireless support in Knoppix is not good for most hardware.
    I can SSH into the knoppix machine remotely, I can ping external machines from the knoppix machine. I have installed an FTP server on another local machine, however, I still can not ftp the files away (nor can I tar/gzip them) as no matter what I do, even though when viewing the properties of the mounted drive show it is writable, when I attempt (from the root terminal) to change the permissions or owner of the directories I need to recover, I get an error saying the drive is read only.

    Once I can get past that, I imagine I can probably get the files off the machine. Unless there is a way I am not aware of (quite possible) to ftp the files from the knoppix machine to another one when the knoppix user isn't the owner of the files.

    Regards,

    Dale

    p.s. the drives I am trying to recover files from are Linux, not windows. I have a couple of network drives available as well as a windows machine that I can move the desired files to.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dtherio
    I have a similar problem. ......
    I violated my own rule here. Sorry. I should have just stuck to my belief that when someone says that they have a similar problem that they actually have a completely different problem and stayed out of the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by dtherio
    p.s. the drives I am trying to recover files from are Linux, not windows.
    I'm guessing that this is certainly a factor. Still, as SU, I would expect that you should be able to read the files. And read access is all that you should need on the system that you are trying to read the files from. The "I get an error saying the drive is read only" makes no sense to me. Is it really from the system that you want to recover files from, or is it perhaps from the destination system?

    I'll be quiet now and leave this discussion to those who know more about the wonders of Linux file systems. Perhaps I've at least managed to uncover a little of the truth of what you are actually trying to do, but I don't think that I can be of any more help than that.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by dtherio
    I have a similar problem. ......
    I violated my own rule here. Sorry. I should have just stuck to my belief that when someone says that they have a similar problem that they actually have a completely different problem and stayed out of the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by dtherio
    p.s. the drives I am trying to recover files from are Linux, not windows.
    I'm guessing that this is certainly a factor. Still, as SU, I would expect that you should be able to read the files. And read access is all that you should need on the system that you are trying to read the files from. The "I get an error saying the drive is read only" makes no sense to me. Is it really from the system that you want to recover files from, or is it perhaps from the destination system?

    I'll be quiet now and leave this discussion to those who know more about the wonders of Linux file systems. Perhaps I've at least managed to uncover a little of the truth of what you are actually trying to do, but I don't think that I can be of any more help than that.
    The error is defiantly on the source drive as that is where I am trying to change the permissions/owner.

    At this point in the process (when I get the error), I haven't even tried to copy the files to the destination as that will not work as I do not have permission to copy them.

    I do appreciate your replies and suggestions. At this point the problem is with permissions/ownership.

    Dale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. recover files on flash drive
    By riehlman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
  2. I'm Having Trouble Copying Files/Folders.
    By triviaace in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 04:36 AM
  3. Trouble mounting/copying from ntfs disk
    By sakura_candy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
  4. Modifying Files on USB Flash Drive
    By DMac in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 05:57 AM
  5. Help copying files on NTFS drive
    By Millions Knives in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00