Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix can't recognize USB harddrive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix can't recognize USB harddrive

    I caught a virus a couple of weeks ago and eventually XP would not reboot in any mode. I had a lot of data on my laptop's hardrive I wanted to save, so I booted up with my Knoppix CDROM and tried to dump the data to a Western Digital Portfolio USB hardrive. Eventually, after rebooting a few times, changing read/write permissions, unplugging and replugging the drive, etc., I got Knoppix to recognize the drive and dump to it. Now, after re-installing XP, I can't get the drive to be recognized on Linux or windows.

    I keep getting this error message in Knoppix:

    "Could not mount device
    error:
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."

    Is there a way I can change the filesystem type manually, or any other way to get the drive recognized? Somehow I got it recognized before, but I am pretty unfamiliar with Knoppix.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Knoppix can't recognize USB harddrive

    Quote Originally Posted by inkexit
    I caught a virus a couple of weeks ago and eventually XP would not reboot in any mode. I had a lot of data on my laptop's hardrive I wanted to save, so I booted up with my Knoppix CDROM and tried to dump the data to a Western Digital Portfolio USB hardrive. Eventually, after rebooting a few times, changing read/write permissions, unplugging and replugging the drive, etc., I got Knoppix to recognize the drive and dump to it. Now, after re-installing XP, I can't get the drive to be recognized on Linux or windows.

    I keep getting this error message in Knoppix:

    "Could not mount device
    error:
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."

    Is there a way I can change the filesystem type manually, or any other way to get the drive recognized? Somehow I got it recognized before, but I am pretty unfamiliar with Knoppix.
    I don't think so.

    Since you backup your data under knoppix, that means you still can read it back from knoppix.

    You may want to go for another approach. Instead of trying to read it directly from Windows XP, try to put data back from knoppix.

    1. Boot up the knoppix from cd.

    2. Mount your USB drive to knoppix (most likely it will be called /media/sda1)

    3. Mount your windows xp hard drive partition to knoppix as read/write

    Assume your hard disk is formatted as NTFS, then the mount command will look like the following

    Code:
    $ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 -o rw,umask=000
    4. Once the mount point is ready, copy all your data back to the hard drive

    Assume you back up all your files on the usb drive /backup directory

    Code:
    $ cp -r /media/sda1/backup /media/hda1
    5. Once you have all the data copy back to the harddrive. Restart Windows xp and do whatever you want to do with your data.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2
    THe problem is that now, for some reason, the USB hardrive won't mount. The internal hardrive mounts every time I boot koppix live. The USB drive will not mount. I have tried to mount it by right clikcing on the icon and selecting "mount" in the knoppix GUI, I assume this does pretty much what the command line code you gave would do. I have tried unlugging it and replugging it in to try to get knoppix to recognize it, but I can't. Is there some knoppix app I can use to mount the drive, or copy from it? or somewhere I can manually change the filesystem type?

Similar Threads

  1. How can Knoppix recognize exponenets?
    By Ian111384 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
  2. Gnomemeeting doesn't recognize soundcard, knoppix op does??
    By churrodudeski in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 02:11 AM
  3. Knoppix 4.02 doesn't recognize USB port
    By klifnor in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
  4. Can't get Knoppix 3.4 to recognize nic
    By Kakalak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 11:23 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50