I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?
I have a compaq presario CDS-972 and it has no OS at all...
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/athome/cla...972cds_qs.html
That's the page about my computer.
Basically, I put the cd in and put the boot disk in and let it run and it comes to the Boot screen. I hit [Enter] and it starts loading, then I get-
Creating direcotires and Symlinks on ramdisk... cp: writing '/etc/localtime' : No space left on device
Done.
Starting init process
then it just stays there... doing nothing.
What do I do?
Thanks!
- Eric
I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?
12 Mb, but it says I only have 8
fingers99 nailed it. Check out the docsOriginally Posted by Vapor
You should go to Distrowatch and check into one of the smaller distributions of linux, Knoppix will not work with that little ram. Look for something like tinylinux or some of the floppy based systems.
I can easily get 128 Mb via Ebay. Good 'ol 72 pins are in surplus there.

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5" /7 (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99