I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?
I have a compaq presario CDS-972 and it has no OS at all...
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/athome/cla...972cds_qs.html
That's the page about my computer.
Basically, I put the cd in and put the boot disk in and let it run and it comes to the Boot screen. I hit [Enter] and it starts loading, then I get-
Creating direcotires and Symlinks on ramdisk... cp: writing '/etc/localtime' : No space left on device
Done.
Starting init process
then it just stays there... doing nothing.
What do I do?
Thanks!
- Eric
I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?
12 Mb, but it says I only have 8
fingers99 nailed it. Check out the docsOriginally Posted by Vapor
You should go to Distrowatch and check into one of the smaller distributions of linux, Knoppix will not work with that little ram. Look for something like tinylinux or some of the floppy based systems.
I can easily get 128 Mb via Ebay. Good 'ol 72 pins are in surplus there.

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00
WaterSaver CT4880F-225WSA Vacuum VAC Panel Mount Needle Valve 3/8" IPS 1 Pc
$78.00
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67
Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99