I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?
I have a compaq presario CDS-972 and it has no OS at all...
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/athome/cla...972cds_qs.html
That's the page about my computer.
Basically, I put the cd in and put the boot disk in and let it run and it comes to the Boot screen. I hit [Enter] and it starts loading, then I get-
Creating direcotires and Symlinks on ramdisk... cp: writing '/etc/localtime' : No space left on device
Done.
Starting init process
then it just stays there... doing nothing.
What do I do?
Thanks!
- Eric
I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?
12 Mb, but it says I only have 8
fingers99 nailed it. Check out the docsOriginally Posted by Vapor
You should go to Distrowatch and check into one of the smaller distributions of linux, Knoppix will not work with that little ram. Look for something like tinylinux or some of the floppy based systems.
I can easily get 128 Mb via Ebay. Good 'ol 72 pins are in surplus there.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00
Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$129.95
HP ProDesk 400 G5 Desktop Mini Intel Core i5-9500T Gen 8GB DDR4 As-Is For Parts
$49.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro
$79.99
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$199.99