Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New User... need some help with Install/Boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3

    New User... need some help with Install/Boot

    I have a compaq presario CDS-972 and it has no OS at all...

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/athome/cla...972cds_qs.html

    That's the page about my computer.

    Basically, I put the cd in and put the boot disk in and let it run and it comes to the Boot screen. I hit [Enter] and it starts loading, then I get-

    Creating direcotires and Symlinks on ramdisk... cp: writing '/etc/localtime' : No space left on device
    Done.
    Starting init process

    then it just stays there... doing nothing.

    What do I do?

    Thanks!
    - Eric

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I suspect you don't have enough RAM: how much you got?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3
    12 Mb, but it says I only have 8

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor
    12 Mb, but it says I only have 8
    fingers99 nailed it. Check out the docs

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You should go to Distrowatch and check into one of the smaller distributions of linux, Knoppix will not work with that little ram. Look for something like tinylinux or some of the floppy based systems.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3
    I can easily get 128 Mb via Ebay. Good 'ol 72 pins are in surplus there.

Similar Threads

  1. Create user at boot...
    By tuds47 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:02 AM
  2. boot to user
    By mark_53 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 02:25 AM
  3. various boot problems new user.
    By huggyg71 in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 04:56 AM
  4. HD Install User Change How To
    By Stephen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 02:53 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08