-
Data recovery!
Hi I'm a Windows user and have a problem with an NTFS disk.
Said disk packed up - windows wouldn't boot while the disk (a data slave) was plugged into the motherboard. When the disk is removed, Windows starts normally.
I was recommended to try Knoppix which I have done (version 5.1.1), to recover the data, however this is without success. I can see the both the master and slave disks when Knoppix starts, yet the dodgy disk tells me the disk is empty!
Does anyone have an idea why i can't see the data on the disk and if there is any way of recovering it?
Yours in desparation
Andy
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Windows frequently mucks up it's disks so bad that even Linux can't recover data from them. I have several such disks, you are far from alone in this matter.
One small chance for a fix that I can offer is that if the partition itself is not bad and the problem is limited to the partition table in the MBR, then Linux commands gpart or testdisk may be able to fix the partition table and thus recover the data. Read the man pages on these for more details. But if these don't recover the data, then I don't have a way to help you.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Ok, thanks
Thanks for your help, I'll try it and let you know.
Similar Threads
-
By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
-
By Metallo in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
-
By Miburou in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:14 AM
-
By cohyster in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
-
By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$379.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD WDS500G2B0A Tested Working
$47.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99