Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: what does a shadow drive look like?

  1. #1

    what does a shadow drive look like?

    Can I shadow a drive in Linux (ignoring risk to data for a moment)?

    I want to diagnose a Windows 98SE tower by seeing if the same problem occurs with a Knoppix 4.0 live DVD bootup of the same hardware. To do that, I want to know what a shadow looks like in Knoppix (or Linux generally).

    The problem, specifically: If I insert the flash thumb too early in bootup or before power up, a spurious drive is born as D:, pushing all other drives (except C:) one letter down. The flash thumb, which is now F:, and the spurious D: show the same folders and space. I do not drill down, afraid I'll harm data. I yank the flash, reboot, and reinsert the flash late enough. Then I can use it safely. I suspect the hardware is declaring something that Win (on both hard drive and floppy) misunderstands but that Knoppix/KDE is okay for. Knoppix shows my flash and hard drive. It shows, and lets me mount, hda1 and uba1. There is no hda2, uba2, hdb, or ubd, to my knowledge; I checked mount, mount -a, and /etc/fstab.

    I don't have the problem with my Linux (Fedora) laptop or public Win2k/XP machines. I didn't have it on my old tower (now dismantled) that had the same Win98SE hard drive.

    I already tried shadowing with Knoppix live but didn't see any duplicate or inexplicable drives or folders, but perhaps I wasn't looking for the right symptom, since the file system and filesystem are dfferent from Win's.

    Any other Knoppix-based test you'd recommend?

    Any major difference in how a shadow drive would show up in Knoppix?

    Thanks.

    --
    Nick

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    I can see there being some sort of race condition such that if you insert the drive during bootup then some mishap occurs in the drive assignments. What throws me is that it happens whenever you insert the drive while the system is powered off. Have you checked the IRQ's and the address assignments in the drivers?

  3. #3
    The only possible conflicts were in IRQs, and I put together a list of them and ran them by Scott Mueller in his forum. He says none of them would matter, and suggested trying BIOS defaults and flashing to upgrade BIOS. I might try the former but probably don't want to risk damaging the board by flashing.

    Any idea what a shadow drive would look like in Knoppix or other Linux? I want to be sure my observation was correct.

    Thanks.

    --
    Nick

Similar Threads

  1. shadow of the LiveDVD on the LiveCD
    By spade in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
  2. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  3. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  4. remove the shadow in KDE 3.1
    By god in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 10:09 AM
  5. Cursor Shadow in Xfree86
    By crickett in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98