Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to force mounted drive to be read/write to chown files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    How to force mounted drive to be read/write to chown files

    knoppix 5.1.1 CD
    Trying to recover files from 2 WhiteBox Linux 3.x hard drives



    Hi all,

    I have a linux box that developed a couple of issues such that I can no longer boot from them. I have booted from the Knoppix 5.1.1 CD and I can see the drives and the files I need to get to.

    Network is functioning properly as I can access external websites as well other machines on my local network.

    The problem I am having is that by default when booting the knoppix CD you are logged in as user knoppix and the hard drives are mounted as read only.

    I have changed the mounted drives to read/write (when mousing over the drive partitions in question the properties indicates the partition is writable), however, whenever I try to change the permissions or owner (chmod or chown) from the root terminal, I get an error telling me the partition is read only.

    You may ask why I am trying to change the owner - simple, I need to copy these files off these non-bootable drives to another drive so I can get my server set back up again. As these files are owned by the user "mail" and I am logged in as user "knoppix" I am unable to drag them to Konquerer (being used as an FTP client) to copy them to my network drive (which I am already logged into. I can copy other files where ownership is not an issue so I know copying works).

    My problem is that either the drives are not truly mounted as read/write or there is something else going on that I have yet to determine. I think the problem is the former.

    Any help or suggestions on how to force the drives to be mounted read/write would be greatly appreciated! Or any other suggestions on how to copy (ftp) these files to a remote device without changing the owner would be very helpful.

    Thank you

    Dale

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Make sure your drive are unmounted first then from a terminal try:

    mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

    replace hda1 with your drive and mount partition, you may need to specify filesystem type, sometimes its not needed, is so try

    mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -t ext3

    replace ext3 with your fs type

    Then change permissions:

    chown mail -R /mnt/hda1
    chgrg users -R /mnt/hda1

    You can try ls -l to see if this has been successful, -R will change properties recursively if you have directories and
    you can alter the group name as you wish

Similar Threads

  1. NTFS mounted read/write - Still can't rename folders
    By Lobotom in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 01:34 AM
  2. Files not being listed on mounted NTFS drive
    By eville84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
  3. mount ntfs drive as read write
    By dcleghorn in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
  4. Unable to read mounted drive
    By squeegy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 12:22 AM
  5. need read AND write access to some files in /var/lib
    By redrat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 03:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh Ethernet Network Card 820-0207-A 1987 NuBus Adapter picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Ethernet Network Card 820-0207-A 1987 NuBus Adapter

$55.00



Vintage Apple Support Card Lot of 15 Classic Macintosh Computer Apple Logo Cards picture

Vintage Apple Support Card Lot of 15 Classic Macintosh Computer Apple Logo Cards

$34.99



Ramworks III Vintage Apple IIe Computer Memory Card picture

Ramworks III Vintage Apple IIe Computer Memory Card

$65.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh II Video Card 820-0198-A7 NuBus BCG9GRM0201 1987 picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh II Video Card 820-0198-A7 NuBus BCG9GRM0201 1987

$60.00



Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working

$22.99



Apple IIe Vintage Motherboard 820-0064-B/607-0164-M 1982 picture

Apple IIe Vintage Motherboard 820-0064-B/607-0164-M 1982

$90.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Apple II Disk II Interface Card 650-X104 1978 Vintage, Tested Working picture

Apple II Disk II Interface Card 650-X104 1978 Vintage, Tested Working

$30.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99