-
Senior Member
registered user
Linux Kernel 2.4.21 Released Question
I noticed this - what would be involved in upgrading?
Would it be worth it?
Linux Kernel 2.4.21 Released
Posted by michael on Friday June 13, @01:20PM
from the load-average-increasing dept.
An anonymous reader writes "After > 6 months of waiting, 2.4.21 is here. Lots of cleanups, and a patch which gives a MAJOR boost to the 'feel' of the system under heavy disk IO, especially on IDE systems. As usual, available from your local kernel.org mirror or ftp.COUNTRYCODE.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/! Tidbit: 'Current bandwidth utilization 131.72 Mbit/s '." See the Changelog for new stuff.[/quote]
-
KNOPPIX development team:
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!
include 2.4.21 in the next Knoppix release.
Thanks,
BR
-
Senior Member
registered user
Having installed Knoppix, is it possible / worth doing to upgrade my kernel?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Tortoise
Having installed Knoppix, is it possible / worth doing to upgrade my kernel?
It's possable.
If it aint broke, don't fix it
-
It's possible, but it's a pain. It'd be much easier (for me at least) to just wait for Knoppix to include it and then do a HD-Install from it.
I need it for the usbnet drivers in 2.4.21 so I can communicate between Knoppix and my Zaurus.
BR
-
Senior Member
registered user
Klaus usually waits until the final release of a kernel before incorporating it into Knoppix. Now that 2.4.21 is officially out I suspect that it will be incorporated into the next Knoppix release - which should come sometime after LinuxTag.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Tortoise
Having installed Knoppix, is it possible / worth doing to upgrade my kernel?
--Yes. You can pretty much follow the instructions in my Linuxtips doc (see the "www" icon below).
Warning: ' make dep ' failed for me, but I just continued on and it's running now. I used the 2.4.20-xfs config file from Knoppix (it's in /boot) and changed a few things around. Included Reiserfs in the kernel so I didn't have to use mkinitrd.
--Detailed explanation follows (best as I can recollect from memory)
' cd /usr/src '
' time tar xjf /home/dave/dnld/linux-2.4.21.tar.bz2 ' == Extract the source
' cd linux-2.4.21 '
' make menuconfig '
( Load the file ' /boot/config-2.4.20-xfs ' when the menu interface comes up. Then change what you like. I saved to /usr/src/krnl2421.cfg )
" alias make='make -s -j 2 ' "
' make dep '
Errors reported:
Code:
root /usr/src/linux-2.4.21 # make dep
make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.
md5sum: MD5 check failed for 'hfc_pci.c'
md5sum: can't open hfc_pci.
md5sum: can't open hfc_pci
--Not knowing what to make of this, I changed a few more things in the menuconfig and tried again. Same error. I did an ' updatedb ' and ' locate hfc_pci ' and the file is ISDN-related. The changes having no result even after taking ISDN out of the kernel build, I continued on:
' time make bzImage '
System is 982 kB
warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
--This is probably because I included Reiserfs instead of making it a module. But no big deal.
' mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.21 '
' cd /lib/modules '
' ln 2.4.21 preferred -sfn '
' cd - ' == Back to last dir
' time make modules && make modules_install '
--Again, an error came up about unresolved symbols, but I just ran ' depmod -a ' again and everything was Ok.
' cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.21 '
' cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21 '
' cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.21 '
' cd /boot '
' ln System.map-2.4.21 System.map -sfn '
' jstar /etc/lilo.conf ' == Just to be safe, I left the default boot image stuff alone and added a second stanza:
Code:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21
label=newkrn2421
read-only
# alias=2
--Then I issued ' lilo -b /dev/fd0 ' to write the boot stuff to a floppy, and rebooted. Worked fine, so I made the new stanza the default boot in lilo.conf.
--Other things I had to redo:
+ Reran vmware-config.pl == Update VMWare 3.x
+ Redid NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run == Update NVidia X drivers.
--So far everything seems to be working fine. However, if you need to make an initrd, you're on your own. If you do it successfully, post to this thread and let us know how you did it.
Similar Threads
-
By chiefbutz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
-
By Steve F in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
-
By voldemort in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
-
By charlesfan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 07:02 AM
-
By Fenix_999 in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP
$349.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB
$160.00

Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue
$299.00