Hi Bill,

About knoppix-halt and knoppix-reboot. They are the same file... as one is just a link to the other. I forget which is the link.

Okay... I tried changing line 204 to:
umount -d "$mp" >>/home/knoppix/0.out 2>&1 || { umount -r "$mp" >>/home/knoppix/1.out 2>&1 ; umount -l "$mp" >>/home/knoppix/2.out 2>&1 ; }
Here is 0.out

umount: /UNIONFS: device is busy
umount: /UNIONFS: device is busy
umount: /UNIONFS: device is busy
umount: /UNIONFS: device is busy
umount: /KNOPPIX.IMG: device is busy
umount: /KNOPPIX.IMG: device is busy

Here is 1.out

umount: persistent busy - remounted read-only
umount: /KNOPPIX.IMG: device is busy
umount: /KNOPPIX.IMG: device is busy

and 2.out is zero bytes... but there.
I got some errors in the console when running shutdown about can't create the file. I suspect they were about 2.out.
It seems as though the image is unmounted though... there may still be some open files.
How can I tell fsck to save files like chkdsk .chk files?