Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix and Dos Bootable Pen Drives?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix and Dos Bootable Pen Drives?

    Hey guys, I have a desire to create a multi-bootable pendrive using Knoppix.

    I have attempted to follow the tutorials and guides that have worked for a singular bootable usb drive and they have worked.

    I then attempted to use the how to on this site:

    http://www.msfn.org/board/Multiple-P...OS-t69211.html

    However it doesn't go too in depth on the actual OS installs themselves.

    I can successfully get Grub4Dos to display a menu.lst to include DOS, Knoppix, and Unhide All.

    I can also get DOS to successfully boot. However when ever I try to get the Knoppix install to boot I get a non-system disk error.

    I have the USB stick partitioned 3 times, one with 200 MB (for DOS), one with 3gb (for Knoppix), and a third one with 4.7gb that is unused at the moment.

    Using the live CD I've attempted the install found at:

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...b-knoppix-510/

    As well as a Batch script that has worked on a singularly partitioned USB stick that was formated using HP's tool.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated - and if I'm unclear or leaving anything crucial out let me know, I'd really like to get this Thumb Drive up and running the way I'd like it as it would be vastly useful for me to be able to boot into either DOS (for ghosting), or Knoppix (for file recovery via Samba). : )

    Thanks again! = )

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    32 views, and not a single experienced user on this subject?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mianosm
    32 views, and not a single experienced user on this subject?
    I copied the entire knoppix 5.1.1 DVD to my 8GB pen drive and have a second ext3 partition on it where I have a Mame emulator directory
    and it works fine on every computer I have booted it on so far.

    IIRC, I used a how-to from this forum on making the USB Knoppix install.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Making a bootable knoppix USB is not a problem, I have been able to do that several times without fail.

    Making a bootable win98 DOS USB is not a problem either, I have done this also several times without fail.

    What I can not do is make an 8gb USB both DOS-bootable, and Knoppix-bootable, but thanks for at least replying. ; )

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1
    Go to www.ultimatebootcd.com and download that cd. It provides you with all kinds of choices to do what you want. The website also provides a lot of information on booting different operating systems from a single device. One main consideration is that moving a usb drive from one computer to another means that the root directory can change depending on what drives the booting computer has so whatever operating systems you use have to be set up to accept any root device. Knoppix handles that just fine.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with W2k after using Knoppix bootable CD
    By Thoth in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM
  2. how to create bootable CD under knoppix 3.7?
    By ddrex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 04:29 PM
  3. knoppix bootable cd
    By woodrow in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 01:50 AM
  4. cd size for knoppix bootable
    By simong in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 12:51 PM
  5. making knoppix bootable
    By matt_w_lambert in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


LOT OF 8  Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3 picture

LOT OF 8 Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3

$1849.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q

$144.95



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SET OF 8 (64GB) - Micron MTA9ASF1G72PZ 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2666V-RD1-11 Memory picture

SET OF 8 (64GB) - Micron MTA9ASF1G72PZ 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2666V-RD1-11 Memory

$225.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



LOT OF 5 Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx1 PC4-2133P Desktop Memory picture

LOT OF 5 Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx1 PC4-2133P Desktop Memory

$130.00