Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: anonymous ftp

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    anonymous ftp

    Hi, I need to setup an anonymous ftp server. I found in the Knoppix dox the following procedure to enable ftp:

    Code:
    rm /etc/hosts.allow
    rm /etc/hosts.deny
    /etc/init.d/inetd restart
    
    passwd knoppix
    In Knoppix 5.1.1 the command is /usr/sbin/inetd restart, not /etc/init.d/inetd restart

    However, this would not set up anonymous ftp, right? To use it you would have to login as knopix with a passwd. I don't want my users to be able to modify whats on my ftp server though.

    So, how do I set up anonymous ftp?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, how about this: I have an sftp server setup so my students can login with konqueror from anywhere in the school or from home using fish:// to save their work. Is there some way for sftp to allow anonymous logins?

    TIA,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, just to clarify my first post above:

    This wouldn't set up anonymous ftp, right? To use it you'd have to login as knoppix with a passwd. So, my ftp users would be able to modify whats stored on the site!

    What I would like to do is login myself for uploading new files or to delete old ones (notes and resources for my students). Also, I'd like my users (students) to be able to login as anonymous without a passwd to download content I've uploaded.

    How do I acheive this? Can I make sftp behave like this?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I'm using QUANTIAN in my classroom right now which is KNOPPIX 4.0 plus OPENMOSIX and some cluster apps. All my PCs are hdd installed with QUANTIAN. Included in this distro is /usr/sbin/proftpd. Can I use this to set up anonymous ftp? If so, how?

    TIA,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. howto setup anonymous ftp?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
  2. anonymous ftp howto setup?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 11:38 PM
  3. anonymous ftp server setup?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 02:04 AM
  4. Anonymous Proxy Setup
    By sakiZ in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:49 AM
  5. Surfing Anonymous
    By debi in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



New JVSCAM Compressed Air Duster,150000RPM Electric Duster, Vacuum Cleaner & Bag picture

New JVSCAM Compressed Air Duster,150000RPM Electric Duster, Vacuum Cleaner & Bag

$77.23



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable picture

Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable

$9.97



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu... picture

Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu...

$149.15