-
apt-get upgrade issue even with persistent fs
Hi, I have a persistent home directory at /home/knoppix and am booting the DVD from "knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda2/knoppixdvd.iso". The knoppix hacks book said I could use the normal debian package management tools so I did a "sudo apt-get upgrade" and figured that the unionfs would orchestrate the updates against the live dvd using my persistent storage. I ran into trouble, which is why I'm posting.
The dvd is KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso, checksum-verified and has worked fine although I bootfrom a hard link to it called knoppixdvd.iso to make life easier.
The apt-get upgrade problem occurs after all the 700+ upgrades have been downloaded; then an ioctl problem happens, here's the information (where you see iinfo, remove one of the i's; I had to do this to avoid the spam filter):
...
xserver-xorg-dev xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xtrans-dev xutils-dev xvier xvncviewer
yorick-doc
744 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1819 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1229MB of archives.
After unpacking 109MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Reading changelogs... Done
apt-listchanges: Do you want to continue? [Y/n]? y
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Debian release: None
(Reading database ... 477769 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace coreutils 5.97-5 (using .../coreutils_5.97-5.3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement coreutils ...
Setting up coreutils (5.97-5.3) ...
install-info(/usr/share/info/coreutils.iinfo): could not backup /usr/share/info/dir in /var/backups/infodir.bak: Inappropriate ioctl for device
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly
$ df /home/knoppix
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/media/sda1/knoppix.img
1844472 1529072 315400 83% /KNOPPIX.IMG
$ df /var/backups
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
persistent 1844472 1529072 315400 83% /UNIONFS
$
There seems to be 315 MB of persistent storage available, so I don't understand what workaround I need to implement to finish the package upgrades.
$
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sometimes this can happen if you have more than one mirror in your /etc/apt/sources.list
I presume you ran apt-get update before the upgrade command?
You may be able to comment out everything in your sources.list and just leave one mirror
then try the upgrade again.
Hope that helps
Similar Threads
-
By harys in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
-
By mamcak in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-15-2006, 03:27 AM
-
By elqueso in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 01:14 AM
-
By albertfuller in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM
-
By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50