Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Repairing boot processes using Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2

    Repairing boot processes using Knoppix

    I'm new to Knoppix and I'm hoping you can point me quickly at what I need.

    I'm using the 5.1.1 CD to try to repair a newish system. I thought the problem was with the hard disc but Knoppix seems to show it OK. So it must be the BIOS or nvidia boot loader or (less likely) GRUB that's at fault.

    I can't see anything in the FAQs about repairing BIOS or boot loaders or GRUB. Gparted and QtParted don't seem to address this at all.

    Is there info anywhere about how to repair boot processes using Knoppix ?

    I guess this is a silly question, and maybe the answer's staring me in the face, but I can't see it.

    All the best, S

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2
    I found out about testdisk which is surely what I need.

    But:

    Knopppix v5.1.1 CD won't allow testdisk to run. Using a terminal window as ordinary user, or with sudo, I get

    /usr/sbin/testdisk Input/output error

    I did the correction listed on the testdisk pages for 5.1, namely

    ln -s /usr/lib/libnfts.so.10.0.0 /usr/lib/libnfts.so.9

    (with sudo) but still get I/O errors when I try to run testdisk.

    In other respects, Knoppix seems to be working fine.

    Can you help? I'm mystified.

    S

Similar Threads

  1. A list of Processes running?
    By pezz453 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 07:05 AM
  2. Repairing Windows in Knoppix
    By hunphi96 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 10:01 AM
  3. Repairing windows 98 machine with Knoppix 3.3
    By Howitzer17 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM
  4. Processes in Knoppix 3.3
    By Seldon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 02:23 AM
  5. Repairing hard-drive partition with knoppix
    By egancs in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 01:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K  Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse  picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse

$1799.99



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99