Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help with HD install

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    2

    Help with HD install

    I have a Toshiba P15-S479 (if that makes any difference), and someone very dear to me got me a new HD for my laptop. I have been using my flash drive to run Knoppix 5.1.1. I love the OS, but now I want to run it OR Ubuntu from the hard drive. Two issues prevent this from being easy: 1. it won't recognize my external DVD burner; 2. the DVD burner in my laptop doesn't work as well. I've tried the "tohd" function, but it says the hard drive is unmountable. It's currently NTFS. I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm doing. I know Knoppix has been strongly discouraged from being installed to a hard drive. All I want is a functional laptop again with a working HD...and I really enjoy tinkering around with Linux. I don't think I could use a flash drive forever.

    The hard drive itself is blank...as far as I know. Even when I try to create a persistent Knoppix disk image or save configuration files, the flash drive is shown as the CD-ROM and the hard drive is unmountable. Can someone help?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Help with HD install

    Quote Originally Posted by dbruley
    ...., but now I want to run it OR Ubuntu from the hard drive. ...
    Ubuntu is an option, although from what I've seen of it I can't find a good reason to select it over the choice I'll mention below.

    Knoppix isn't really a good option (I.M.H.O.). Knoppix installed on hard disk is plagued with problems. See answer #2 for details.

    If you like Knoppix, why not install Debian, the intended for hard disk distro that Knoppix is based on? If you have a high speed connection, I would suggest doing a net install of the current "testing" version, with either the net-install ISO or even the business card ISO. The business card ISO file is only about 50 meg in size, all of the rest is installed directly from the Internet. This would give you a very stable installed system, into which you could easily install anything included in Knoppix and a lot more. And addressing one of the things you mentioned here, the Debian install will look at your disks and figure out how to partition things for you (although it gives you the choice to over ride this).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    2

    Thanks

    I will definitely look into it. the net install looks very interesting. I have some questions about it, but I know those should be asked elsewhere...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95