When I open a terminal and type "echo $PATH" (without quotes) one of the paths listed is /home/knoppix/.dist/bin. This directory did not exist on my default knoppix system so I went ahead and created one. This is a cool place to put my own scripts. I can run them without changing the default path and when I back up my home directory, the scripts get backed up. But I have a few questions about this path.
1. What does 'dist' stand for?
2. Why is it hidden?
3. Is there a 'traditional' use for this directory in linux? (I couldn't find anything useful with google)
Thanks,
Bill

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99
Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ
$270.00
Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED
$67.76
Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00
Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested
$29.78
Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested
$149.99
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29