Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Changing startup browser/adding files to desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    Changing startup browser/adding files to desktop

    Hi there,

    First of all PLEASE forgive me for being a newbie to Linux. But so far I'm loving Knoppix. I am able to boot it from the USB drive, so that part's okay.

    I will be distributing Knoppix on USB drives and a large website will be included on it (loaded from the browser off the USB drive, NOT thru the internet). Where should I put these files for the website? Just on the USB drive...anywhere?

    Also, I need to add an icon on the desktop to launch this site in the browser, a shortcut... where will I be able to add this so it comes up every time Knoppix is started?

    Finally, is there any way to stop the browser from popping up with the Knoppix page? (Or maybe redirect it so it loads with this website I'm putting on there?)

    Any help is greatly appreciated , thank you so much!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: Changing startup browser/adding files to desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by smh219
    Hi there,

    First of all PLEASE forgive me for being a newbie to Linux. But so far I'm loving Knoppix. I am able to boot it from the USB drive, so that part's okay.

    I will be distributing Knoppix on USB drives and a large website will be included on it (loaded from the browser off the USB drive, NOT thru the internet). Where should I put these files for the website? Just on the USB drive...anywhere?

    Also, I need to add an icon on the desktop to launch this site in the browser, a shortcut... where will I be able to add this so it comes up every time Knoppix is started?

    Finally, is there any way to stop the browser from popping up with the Knoppix page? (Or maybe redirect it so it loads with this website I'm putting on there?)

    Any help is greatly appreciated , thank you so much!


    All your questions are answered on the remastering wiki:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    at least for a CD. The problem you've got with a USB drive are:

    Not all computers can boot from a USB drive
    Being a USB drive it is writable, so your distribution can get damaged,
    altered, deleted, - no such problem with a CD
    Hope that helps

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thanks very much!

    The website is much too big for a CD, but perhaps would work on a dvd. . .

    Silly question: Would the CD distro of Knoppix work fine if put onto a CD, or do I need the DVD one?

    Thank you!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Yes the CD version works fine when remastered to a CD, make sure you read the wiki, to remaster for the CD you need at least 1G memory (made up from physical and swap or just physical if you have 1G ram) and a partition with at least 3G spare.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    Just a note: not all computers may have DVD drives.

    and as for the usb drives being modified, you can a: put the files inside the cloop, should be unmodifiable, or b: make sure it's mounted as -ro, not -rw.

Similar Threads

  1. Adding app at startup
    By fatsam in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 01:13 AM
  2. Adding/Changing Services to Default Runlevel
    By hal8000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
  3. Changing the startup
    By bart_999 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 09:23 AM
  4. How can I start firefox browser at startup????
    By oganika in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
  5. Changing the KDE box/window background at Startup
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$175.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$106.67



Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset) picture

Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)

$18.99



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00