Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Custom Kernel - boot locked up

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20

    Custom Kernel - boot locked up

    Hello, I've been working on a customized Knoppix cd for a few days now, using many of the tips here. I need to update the kernel to include support for some newer hardware, and it's breaking.

    What I did:

    Started with Knoppix 5.1.1, followed wiki for unpacking to hard drive and chrooting in to it.
    while chrooted, did the following:

    obtained 2.6.23.14 (latest stable) sources from kernel.org
    loaded up the config file on 5.1.1 cd, added what I needed, built kernel, installed, did make modules, modules-install.
    updated the symlinks in /boot/vmlinuz to reference new kernel and system.map
    copied kernel to /mnt/sda1/knx/master/boot/isolinux/linux
    made the iso, tried it, and received a fatal error about cloop.ko

    rebuilt cloop.ko from sources, installed, copied to /mnt/sda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/modules
    tried again, machine locks up when booting.
    Updated the aufs.ko as well, tried again, locks up in same spot. (used sources)


    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here is the screen when I boot:



    Running Linux Kernel 2.6.23.14
    Total Memory available: 254628kB, Memory free: 247344kB.
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [VMWare Virtual IDE Hard Drive]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [VMWare Virtual IDE CDROM Drive]
    Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc..._
    Now, I say it's locked, as in, hanging, but my keyboard is flashing lights, my caps lock and scroll lock lights.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    I've been working on this and I think it's due to the cloop.ko.

    Anyone know where I can find some good info on how to put the cloop.ko into the cd properly? I can't seem to find many details on this...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by keeger
    I've been working on this and I think it's due to the cloop.ko.

    Anyone know where I can find some good info on how to put the cloop.ko into the cd properly? I can't seem to find many details on this...
    You right the problem is cloop!

    try to download the new cloop source here:

    http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian....2.624-1.tar.gz

    I remastered my miniknoppix with kernel 2.6.24 without problem.

    I had the same problem and had a answer from Klaus:

    Something with namespaces? I think I found the bug: This occurs when you
    modprobe cloop; rmmod cloop; modprobe cloop again. It's fixed in
    cloop-2.623. There was one forgotten disk allocation on rmmod, which
    caused the module to unload cleanly, but on second modprobe, the same
    disk was allocated twice, causing a kernel oops.

    Enjoy you knoppix

    Ciao
    Max

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    In compiling your new kernel, did you build it as a monolithic kernel (all support and driver files compiled into kernel) or
    did you include some as modules?

    Also did you need to make an initaial ramdisk?
    If yes where did you place the initrd?
    To boot the kernel your new kernel must have support compiled into the kernel for cloop fs or the cloop fs an an initrd.
    One final question, where is the config on the 5.1.1 kernel stored?
    Thanks in advance.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    Yeah, I figured out the Cloop issue with the latest source. It was interesting. I had 2.6.24.14 kernel code, and the cloop-2623 code, and it wouldn't make cleanly or work. then on Saturday, I checked the download site for cloop, and there was cloop-2624! hehe.

    So yea, getting that working fixed my problem. After that, I ran into an issue with the AUFS module. It was necessary to patch the kernel with 3 patches and rebuild the AUFS module against it afterwards.

    I made a doc on the exact steps I did, was thinking of posting it somewhere, but it's very dependent on my VMware setup. I did a Hard drive install, made 2 separate partitions, etc.

    =======

    Hal: the config for 5.1.1 is on the cd, but I forget where exactly. It's covered in the Wiki on HDD Remastering and kernel compilation.

    I copied that to my /usr/src/linux folder (as .config) and started from it. No, I didn't make a monolithic kernel, I did a mostly modularized one. As for the ramdisk, you don't need to worry about that for the custom cd. although you do need to update the minrt.gz file, which is analogous to a initrd.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    In compiling your new kernel, did you build it as a monolithic kernel (all support and driver files compiled into kernel) or
    did you include some as modules?

    Also did you need to make an initaial ramdisk?
    If yes where did you place the initrd?
    To boot the kernel your new kernel must have support compiled into the kernel for cloop fs or the cloop fs an an initrd.
    One final question, where is the config on the 5.1.1 kernel stored?
    Thanks in advance.
    I follow the knoppix way:

    aufs & cloop as a module placed in KNOPPIX/modules/
    the initrt is minirt.gz, you have to gunzip it, mount and change the modules with the new ones.

    I cand send you my new .config.

    For aufs I had to patch the kernel with sec_perm-2.6.24.patch (I did only this pacth).

    Aufs is version 20071217

    Ciao

    Max

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Thanks for the info guys.

    I have remastered 5.11 several times, but with the 2.6.19 stock kernel.
    There are scripts to help in remastering knoppix, not used these, always followed the wiki procedure.
    I will have a go at installing a new kernel following your tips, it maybe an idea to create yourself a
    knoppix wiki account and modify the wiki with steps on howto remaster creating a new kernel

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    I tried that document in the beginning, and I had difficulty working in the chroot environment. I followed this document pretty closely and so didn't see a need to change it.

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster..._Install_HowTo

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Kernel - Problem on Boot
    By fabioxa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
  2. BOOT NEW CUSTOM KERNEL
    By fabioxa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 06:21 AM
  3. boot from floppy failed with Custom Kernel
    By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 11:33 AM
  5. Custom kernel does not boot
    By mordor in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$74.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$105.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00