Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: I can't get it to boot for anything

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11

    I can't get it to boot for anything

    When I install to the hard drive (I have 3 HD's and 5 Partitions if you need to know) I made one a Linux partition and I can't get it to boot in to knopixx when I reboot it always boots back to windows. Please help.
    Thanks.
    Chris.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: I can't get it to boot for anything

    Quote Originally Posted by FUSiON Xbetas
    When I install to the hard drive (I have 3 HD's and 5 Partitions if you need to know) I made one a Linux partition and I can't get it to boot in to knopixx when I reboot it always boots back to windows. Please help.
    Thanks.
    Chris.
    How are you trying to boot, from floppy, lilo screen or windows boot manager a few more details are needed. Also the layout of your drives would be helpful too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11
    I install Knoppix, say use lilo, reboot from HDD and the lilo screen doesn't come up it just boots in to windows.
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Was lilo installed on the same drive as windows, if it was installed to a drive other than the boot drive it will never get accessed. You can boot from the boot floppy if you made it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11
    It was. I even just reinstalled it again reformating my NTFS to a linux partition and still no go. I have no idea. Do I need to do that swap file? I tired but it wouldn't work.
    Thanks.
    Chris.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Could you boot from the CD and open a console window ( the clam shell icon on the taskbar) and sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda and post the output and if you are going to install knoppix to a drive other than your first drive (boot) the output of fdisk -l for that drive too.

    If I or anybody else is going to be able to help you, you will have to post more detail as to the steps you are using when you install. At a minimum we will need to know which HD you are installing to and the file systems and partitions on the drive. You should also post any error messages you get.

    It is not necessary to have a /swap partition but it is highly recommended you can create this using cfdisk during the install along with your / partition. Or you could use Qtparted which is on the later versions (IIRC >= 2003-04-15) to divide the linux partition you created on your last attempt.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11
    Thanks man for your help. Here is the stuff you said you needed.
    Disk /dev/hda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 3719 29872836 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 3720 12161 67810365 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 3720 11651 63713758+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda6 11652 12161 4096543+ 83 Linux
    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

    I am also using 3.2 I saw somewhere where some guy said lilio was messed up in 3.2 but I don't know.
    Thanks.
    Chris

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by FUSiON Xbetas

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 3719 29872836 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 11652 12161 4096543+ 83 Linux
    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$
    So you will use hda1 for / and hda6 for /swap. When you boot from the CD for the install open a console window again and sudo mkswap /dev/hda6 to make linux swap partition on hda6. which will now show when you rund fdisk -l :
    Code:
       Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1   *         1      3719  29872836   83  Linux
    /dev/hda6         11652     12161   4096543+  82  Linux swap
    Then run the knx-install script. When lilo gets installed you should see some output in the console window you are installing from telling you whether it succeded.
    I am also using 3.2 I saw somewhere where some guy said lilio was messed up in 3.2 but I don't know.
    I install every version on a spare partition to test it and have not had a problem with lilo.

    I just had a idea, are you using anti-virus protection for the MBR in your system BIOS? If so turn it off it may be preventing lilo from writing to the MBR.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    11
    Before I do this I think it would be best that I get the gay lindows off my box. I put it on there last night. Big mistake. Any ideas?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by FUSiON Xbetas
    Before I do this I think it would be best that I get the gay lindows off my box. I put it on there last night. Big mistake. Any ideas?
    If you used the hda1 and hda6 partitions to install the lindows then they will be overwritten by the Knoppix install no need to do anything to get rid of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99