-
Some basic questions
Well I am building a new computer from scratch and have become interested in escaping from the world of microsoft. I have used SUSE before and liked the linux platform. I am basically wondering if it is possible to have a computer that runs entirely off of knoppix, from the very beginning and as its only OS. I really dont want to mess with windows and MS anymore, i am sick of all the crashing and crappy software. All I really need a computer for is email, internet, word, spreadsheets, and some image processing and vista is a rip off.
So, is doing this reccomended or possible? Also, how much linux knowledge is needed, becuase i know some but am still learning.
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Knoppix really isn't intended or suitable as a hard disk based system; it's a Live CD. See answer #2 for details. If you want to install Linux to hard disk, I suggest Debian or some other distro intended for that (I suggest Debian because Knoppix is based on it). Sure, you could run a computer from the CD or DVD, but there is no good reason to do so for most users. And, of course you can use Linux and divorce yourself from Microsoft. But you may have some issues if you like to play the newest games (which may not do as well under wine as opposed to real Windows). All depends on what you want to do with a computer.
-
well the reason i thought of doing this was becuase i read that you can actually run it from your harddisk, as if it were a normal OS. And i dont really need anything other than internet, and some basic programs that should be fine on knoppix like office stuff and GIMP. I dont really play games anymore so much. And the other reason is that it is free, and I am very poor right now due to moving to a new city and some other stuff.
I will look into debbian though, sounds interesting.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Read the warnings in answer #2, then do what you want. But your logic that Knoppix is free is somewhat flawed, Debian is also free. I strongly suggest downloading the net-install CD or business card CD (as long as you have high speed access) and install from the internet. If you think Knoppix is fine then try it. However, many people who do have a lot of trouble with their Internet connection when used that way. And If you install any new software or try to update anything that you do have, it very well might break. Debian is much more stable. Do whatever you think is best, but you did ask.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
yeah you are right, I am reading some more and debian is obviously a better choice to try. at first i didnt know it was free. thanks for the input.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Some basic questions

Originally Posted by
kbieri
Well I am building a new computer from scratch...
Since you are going to be on new rather than old hardware, I suggest using the "testing" version of Debian rather than the "stable" version. Th"stable" version is somewhat old. The "testing" version is newer and should have better support for new hardware, and in spite of the poor choice of names is actually quite stable.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By Kerr Avon in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
-
By gradofan in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
-
By anders in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 05:35 AM
-
By tonedef667 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$325.10