Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Some basic questions

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Some basic questions

    Well I am building a new computer from scratch and have become interested in escaping from the world of microsoft. I have used SUSE before and liked the linux platform. I am basically wondering if it is possible to have a computer that runs entirely off of knoppix, from the very beginning and as its only OS. I really dont want to mess with windows and MS anymore, i am sick of all the crashing and crappy software. All I really need a computer for is email, internet, word, spreadsheets, and some image processing and vista is a rip off.

    So, is doing this reccomended or possible? Also, how much linux knowledge is needed, becuase i know some but am still learning.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix really isn't intended or suitable as a hard disk based system; it's a Live CD. See answer #2 for details. If you want to install Linux to hard disk, I suggest Debian or some other distro intended for that (I suggest Debian because Knoppix is based on it). Sure, you could run a computer from the CD or DVD, but there is no good reason to do so for most users. And, of course you can use Linux and divorce yourself from Microsoft. But you may have some issues if you like to play the newest games (which may not do as well under wine as opposed to real Windows). All depends on what you want to do with a computer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    well the reason i thought of doing this was becuase i read that you can actually run it from your harddisk, as if it were a normal OS. And i dont really need anything other than internet, and some basic programs that should be fine on knoppix like office stuff and GIMP. I dont really play games anymore so much. And the other reason is that it is free, and I am very poor right now due to moving to a new city and some other stuff.
    I will look into debbian though, sounds interesting.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Read the warnings in answer #2, then do what you want. But your logic that Knoppix is free is somewhat flawed, Debian is also free. I strongly suggest downloading the net-install CD or business card CD (as long as you have high speed access) and install from the internet. If you think Knoppix is fine then try it. However, many people who do have a lot of trouble with their Internet connection when used that way. And If you install any new software or try to update anything that you do have, it very well might break. Debian is much more stable. Do whatever you think is best, but you did ask.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    yeah you are right, I am reading some more and debian is obviously a better choice to try. at first i didnt know it was free. thanks for the input.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Some basic questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kbieri
    Well I am building a new computer from scratch...
    Since you are going to be on new rather than old hardware, I suggest using the "testing" version of Debian rather than the "stable" version. Th"stable" version is somewhat old. The "testing" version is newer and should have better support for new hardware, and in spite of the poor choice of names is actually quite stable.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Basic XBox questions - please help
    By Kerr Avon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Basic Questions From A Linux NewBee...
    By gradofan in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
  3. Very basic questions about KLIK
    By dpeirce in forum Klik
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
  4. Probably very, very basic!
    By anders in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 05:35 AM
  5. New to Knoppix - couple of basic questions
    By tonedef667 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 01:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard picture

*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard

$37.98



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99