Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: checking hd for problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    checking hd for problems

    I have a disk that may have some corruption. and i would like to check the file structure and system. How do you test hard disk for problems?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Please state the follwoing:
    file system (is it NTFS, FAT32, other?)
    is the drive SCSI, SATA or IDE?
    is the drive master or slave and on what IDE connector?
    The partition are you talking about

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    The drive is IDE and was in a NAS device which formatted it in a Linux file system. I have it installed on my system on the primary IDE connector. When I boot into Knoppix it show up as /dev/hdb1 and the mount point is /media/hdb1 and there is only one partition on it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob463
    The drive is IDE and was in a NAS device which formatted it in a Linux file system. I have it installed on my system on the primary IDE connector. When I boot into Knoppix it show up as /dev/hdb1 and the mount point is /media/hdb1 and there is only one partition on it.

    Thats a good post, contains all the information necessary to answer your question now.
    To check your hard drive which is formatted with a linux filesystem this will probably be either ext2, ext3 or reiser run one of the following commands:
    Open a terminal and type

    fsck.ext2 /dev/hdb1
    fsck.ext3 /dev/hdb1
    reiserfsck /dev/hdb1

    N.B. These are not the only file systems in linux, you must know what file system you formatted it with, checking a file system with the wrong fsck
    will either totally corrupt your filesystem and remove your chances of repairing or extracting any data.
    HTH

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Thanks

    I will try that later today. I appreciate your help hal.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    I have a related question: Know of any way to chkdsk or defrag a NTFS partition?

    I'm considering trying to do wine + chkdsk or wine+dirms, but I find it hard to believe an emulator will work with low level tools...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by keeger
    I have a related question: Know of any way to chkdsk or defrag a NTFS partition?

    I'm considering trying to do wine + chkdsk or wine+dirms, but I find it hard to believe an emulator will work with low level tools...

    Install ntfsprogs

    http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsprogs

    You can use

    ntfsck /dev/hda1 (etc)

    ntfsdefrag is available as well.

    I have not used these tools, but sucessfully recovered data with ntfsundelete

    HTH

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    20
    i looked at the page, and it says both of those programs are not out yet

    but it's good to see they are on the way!

Similar Threads

  1. Spell checking
    By RoyalMail in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
  2. Spyware checking?
    By turbine in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 04:22 PM
  3. Harddrive checking
    By ZeroKun in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
  4. checking md5sum
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 03:19 AM
  5. Checking the Knoppix ISO download
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 07:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$344.74



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99