-
Error mounting HD
Hi I'm new to Linux and am using knoppix 5.1 to try and rescue some files from a failed boot of Windows XP on my Dell Laptop. Anyways, I am able to boot up Knoppix via cd, and mount my USB drive, however, when I try and mount my HD, I get message that says: "Error reading $MFT: Input/output error, failed to load $MFT: Input/output error, failed to startup volume: Input/output error, failed to mount /dev/hda1,
NTFS in inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE! The usage of the /f parameter is very important. NO modification was made to NTFS by this software." So, I of course can't run windows on my computer and I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to workaround this, or fix it. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
wuchang
-
Junior Member
registered user
I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to workaround this, or fix it
You can run a utility that checks and fixes your hard drive from DOS. You'd need a Windows 98 boot floppy disk (or maybe some other kind of DOS disk, all I know is that my Win98 boot disk has it) and a floppy drive (you can buy an external drive which connects by USB if you don't have an internal floppy drive).
Similar Threads
-
By anonymous81 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM
-
By marhil711 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-23-2009, 11:07 PM
-
By charlemagneb in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
-
By downdogWoof in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
-
By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00