Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Error mounting HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1

    Error mounting HD

    Hi I'm new to Linux and am using knoppix 5.1 to try and rescue some files from a failed boot of Windows XP on my Dell Laptop. Anyways, I am able to boot up Knoppix via cd, and mount my USB drive, however, when I try and mount my HD, I get message that says: "Error reading $MFT: Input/output error, failed to load $MFT: Input/output error, failed to startup volume: Input/output error, failed to mount /dev/hda1,
    NTFS in inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE! The usage of the /f parameter is very important. NO modification was made to NTFS by this software." So, I of course can't run windows on my computer and I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to workaround this, or fix it. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!


    wuchang

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13
    I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to workaround this, or fix it
    You can run a utility that checks and fixes your hard drive from DOS. You'd need a Windows 98 boot floppy disk (or maybe some other kind of DOS disk, all I know is that my Win98 boot disk has it) and a floppy drive (you can buy an external drive which connects by USB if you don't have an internal floppy drive).

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting a HD and file system error
    By anonymous81 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM
  2. Keep getting Error message when mounting WinXP Partition
    By marhil711 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 11:07 PM
  3. Error mounting drives with 5.3.1
    By charlemagneb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
  4. Mounting Debian Partition Error
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
  5. Partition-error (Table written but error while reading!!!)
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72