Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: "syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesyste

  1. #1

    "syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesyste

    I'm trying to install Knoppix to a USB key using the instructions from this website--

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

    However, when I run the command "syslinux -s /dev/sdc1" it gives me this error: "syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem." I don't think I did anything wrong before this, but I realize that I very well might have without realizing it.

    There are two things I should mention, though. It might be that neither is relevant, but I thought I'd say them anyway since they might be. The first is that although I inserted the USB drive during the opening screen (the cheat code screen or something like that? whichever one you hit enter on to load from cd), the drive flashed a little while it said it was looking for USB devices, BUT then it wasn't mounted or even recognized by Knoppix once KDE started up. I was able to get it recognized by taking it out and reinserting it, but I know that that's specifically against the instructions on this page (maybe that's the cause?). The second thing I should mention is that this USB drive is a Cruzer Micro 4 GB, which means it has that weird U3 thing. Or it HAD it before I removed it in Windows using the program found here. I bought this specifically to install Knoppix, so I didn't want that U3 stuff.

    The computer I'm using is a Dell Inspiron 1501 (laptop) with a gig of ram and an AMD Turion64x2 CPU. I'd give the more detailed specs, but it's been awhile since I've used Linux and I can't remember the command to list off everything. If anything else needs to be known, tell me the command and I'll put it in and copy it here.

    Thanks so much to anyone who can help. I can't really offer any reward, but you'll have my eternal gratitude

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    I would try after you boot knoppix, and insert the usb drive and get an icon...
    fdisk -l /dev/sda

    Paste the output in here.
    I just went through it with an 8 GB pny... on an old bios... so yeah those howto's always seem to have a gotcha.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot mount NTFS : doesn't contain a valid partition table
    By lakanook in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2006, 01:53 AM
  2. Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda ...
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
  3. CD: not a valid block-device
    By AugustQ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:19 PM
  4. fd0 not a valid block device!!
    By smeadows in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 03:15 AM
  5. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99