-
Junior Member
registered user
Running Knoppix on a Compaq 920AC
I have a Compaq 920AC that will not let me run Knoppix. The failures are during boot up. I get a variety of error messages on boot up.
I have tried the failsafe option and this does not work.
I think the problem is the video card. The Suse live demo works with an 800x600 @ 16 bit, with the VESA Framebuffer Graphics (fbev). Trying these settings at the boot prompt when starting Knoppix does not help.
Does anyone have any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
To use fb at the boot: prompt fb800X600 knoppix already defaults to 16M colours. If you used knoppix failsafe when you booted the failsafe it will not work if this is the case use only failsafe at the boot: with no knoppix in front the same is true with the fb.
-
Junior Member
registered user
fb800x600 has put me in the right direction but I am still having some problems.
The first error I get is insmod char-major-4 failed.
The system eventually carries on and I get
Warning: Autodetectiion seems to hang, please check your BIOS settings.
What should I look for in the BIOS settings?
I then get further messages
.../bin/loadkeys: Input/output error
.../usr/sbin/mkxf86config: Input/output error
/etc/fstab gets created and then
I get more errors
.... /bin/rmdir: Input/output error
Things really get unglued (continuous loop) when I start seeing this error message
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: status error: status=0x20 { DeviceFault}
I have a hard time reading this but there appears to be some sort of SCSI bus reset going on
-
Senior Member
registered user
A quick google search looks like it might be a mouse problem with the char-major-4 so try the cheat code pci=irqmask=0x0e98. You also could try booting with the fb and many of the "no" cheat codes.
Similar Threads
-
By micheles in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 06:18 PM
-
By opmvz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 13
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 02:01 PM
-
By Raineri in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
-
By gabe66 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-05-2003, 01:47 PM
-
By Guest in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$199.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00

Lot of 40 Mixed 16GB Ram Sticks DDR4 Laptop Mixed Brands & Speeds - All Tested
$2399.99

F4-3200C16D-64GVK G.Skill RipJaws 32GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz Memory
$159.00

G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO
$419.95

Kingston Fury Beast RGB 16GB(1x16GB) DDR5 5200MHz HP52U40S8MA-16FRAE
$170.00

Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3000 DIMM 288-Pin CMU32GX4M4C3000C15
$134.99

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00