-
So this is what I've done..........
I log in as root and typed init 5 and it just gives a new prompt. It doesn't seem to have done anything.
Typing init 2 gives the following - switching to run level: 2
root@compaq: stopping the K display manager: kdm
stopping X display manager: xdm not running (/var/run/xdm.pid not found).
Typing su at the prompt just gives a new prompt.
I am going to boot with the cd and see if I can follow what you said and do some editing. I will try that before I do the one that I cannot break. This will make me learn the hard way. This is a totally new environment for me so it will be painfully slow. I was married to microsoft but I am working on a divorce/separation.
For the install I followed this guide - http://www.linfo.org/knoppixinstall.html
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-21-2009, 01:46 AM
-
By Lagniappe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 10:27 AM
-
By jariep in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 08:01 PM
-
By Delbor in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-19-2003, 12:41 AM
-
By Fleshgolem in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$325.99

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Sealed Vintage Intel Pro/1000 Network Adapters Drivers CD Ver 3.1 Vintage PC NEW
$39.61

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial
$89.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95

Vintage NEC Versa V/50 Notebook Computer with UNTESTED as/is
$29.99

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00