Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I/O errors after remaster

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4

    I/O errors after remaster

    Hi Forum,

    I'm sure this has been dealt with 1,000,000 times already but I just went through remastering a KNOPPIX 5.1.1 disc. I did not add anything but I removed a few unneeded packages (mostly the game stuff) using 'apt-get remove' and I also changed the inittab to boot at init level 3 instead of 5. I followed the remastering instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto and when I use the boot image now I get a boot but with a lot of IO errors during boot. For example:

    Code:
    Buffer I/O errors on device cloop0, logical block 121890
    
    /linuxrc: expr: I/O error
    
    cp: reading `/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York': Input/output error
    
    Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection... Failed.
    
    pcilib: I/O error at /usr/share/misc/pci.ids, line 0
    
     Please check.
    
    fread magic: Input/output error
    
    /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 912: /usr/bin/consolechars: Input/output error
    /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 915: /usr/bin/locale: Input/output error
    /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 1003: /usr/sbin/mkxorgconfig: Input/output error
    /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppox-autoconfig: line 1073: /usr/bin/awk: Input/output error
    /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppox-autoconfig: line 1184: /usr/bin/awk: Input/output error
    /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppox-autoconfig: line 1186: [: : integer expression expected
    
    printk: 138 messages suppressed
    
    Buffer I/O error on device cloop0, logical block 191760
    Buffer I/O error on device cloop0, logical block 191761
    Buffer I/O error on device cloop0, logical block 191758
    
    bash: /usr/bin/tty: Input/output error
    I had no errors during the build process that I saw. Can anyone point me to a starting point in resolving this?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    The errors refer to the compressed loop image and you have experienced the same as the author who wrote that article in the wiki.
    Look again at Section 2.9.1 there are two methods for producing the cloop image, which did you use?

    The top line (with the -B ) worked ok for me.
    One other suggestion is to test the iso with qemu before you burn the iso.
    qemu -cdrom /path/to/your/knoppix.iso

    should allow you test if the iso completed successfully.
    If that boots ok, try buring the iso at a lower speed, the errors may be caused by bad media or cheap cd's
    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4
    Actually I am using QEMU to test and I did use that procedure in the wiki entry that you mentioned. That writeup was for a slightly older version of Knoppix too so I was wondering if this was a new bug or the same bug that needs to be dealt with differently.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4
    I think I found my problem. Once I'm ready to mkisofs the disk I needed to unmount /proc, /sys and /dev

    Burning after this went with no problems. Unless I misread the Wiki HOWTO, it only mentioned unmounting /proc.

Similar Threads

  1. MY SQL Errors on 4.0.2
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 02:48 PM
  2. Many Errors at .xsession-errors file ...
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  3. APT-GET... 404 errors
    By Stryker87 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 01:22 AM
  4. Apt-get errors?
    By massai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 06:56 PM
  5. KDE errors
    By Gecko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065 picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065

$125.00



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99