-
USB drive not being recognized at bootup
Hey all - it's obvious (or will be) that I'm a noob at Linux (at least to the Knoppix variety). I'm using Knoppix to learn more about this operating system and as an aid at work for when I need Linux but don't want to do the VMWare thing on my laptop.
Anyway -- Knoppix is booting fine - no error messages regarding USB, etc. I see USB being recognized in the boot process. I can also see the 3 USB controllers on my Dell Inspiron 700m when I use USB View. But - my USB thumb drive is not being recognized even when its on the slot at bootup. I've also tried to mount it by first creating a directory called /mnt/usbdrive and then using this command: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive (this all done using the root shell)
The error I get when I try that mount command is that /dev/sda1 is not a valid block address ("address" may not be the exact term but you get my drift) even though I can go to the /dev directory and see "sda1". So -- I really need to be able to put the files I create in Knoppix somewhere and to be able to use things created elsewhere in Knoppix; the USB drive seems the obvious choice. But -- how to I get Knoppix to recognized the actual USB thumb drive that is in the USB plug? Knoppix is crippled without this ability.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Similar Threads
-
By mikemillion2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-12-2008, 11:36 PM
-
By The Rockologist in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-13-2005, 02:04 AM
-
By JugglingSuns120 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
-
By m_yates in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 02:11 AM
-
By jmassengill in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$120.73

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00