Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problems with W2k after using Knoppix bootable CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Problems with W2k after using Knoppix bootable CD

    I've runned Knoppix from bootable CD on a W2kProf box with a FAT32 system. After shutdown -r now command in Knoppix and removing the CD, W2k won't startup anymore. I'll see a flash of the bar with te message Windows starting up and after that the screen stays blank with only the cursor blinking. No boot anymore. I've tried to repair the system with the CD of W2k, run the console manual, repair option automatic, tried bootfix but it wouldn't start, etc nothing helps. W2k refuses to startup. However, when I run Knoppix CD, that OS boots normally. So what's wrong? Corrupted boot of W2k? Who has an idea?

    Thx in advance

    Thoth

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21

    w2k problem

    did you change anything in the bios setup?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thx for your response! But no, I didn't change anything. Yesterday I put another partition on my disk with W2k. So I did had the time now from de Mbr to start the failing OS in a save mode. Windows did give me then a message that the \Windows\system32\config\system file is corrupted. So I've a big problem. I tried the automaic repair option. A lot of files where replaced but not the system file. Probably I've have to do that manually from the W2k disk. But I'dont know if this is possible and eventually would fix the problem. Any idea?

    Greetings!

    Thoth

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Problem solved

    Yo, problem is solved. W2k has 3 backups of system file stored. One in .\system32\config folder, the system.alt file and 2 in %windows_home%\repair folder i.e regback and system. By renaming/replacing the corrupt system file with one of these files, the problem was solved. System.alt is most recent, after that regback and finally system. Regback worked for me. I only lost some registry entries and had to install some drivers again.

    Topic can be closed.

    Greetings

    Thoth

Similar Threads

  1. Creating a bootable Knoppix CD/DVD
    By dale.brandt in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  2. USB Bootable Key Problems
    By detsiwt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
  3. Please help me with creating bootable Knoppix CD!
    By Rihards in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
  4. knoppix bootable cd
    By woodrow in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 01:50 AM
  5. making knoppix bootable
    By matt_w_lambert in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player, Power Adapter. Partial function. picture

Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player, Power Adapter. Partial function.

$42.00



atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply picture

atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply

$109.65



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari picture

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari

$129.99



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29