did you change anything in the bios setup?
I've runned Knoppix from bootable CD on a W2kProf box with a FAT32 system. After shutdown -r now command in Knoppix and removing the CD, W2k won't startup anymore. I'll see a flash of the bar with te message Windows starting up and after that the screen stays blank with only the cursor blinking. No boot anymore. I've tried to repair the system with the CD of W2k, run the console manual, repair option automatic, tried bootfix but it wouldn't start, etc nothing helps. W2k refuses to startup. However, when I run Knoppix CD, that OS boots normally. So what's wrong? Corrupted boot of W2k? Who has an idea?
Thx in advance
Thoth
did you change anything in the bios setup?
Thx for your response! But no, I didn't change anything. Yesterday I put another partition on my disk with W2k. So I did had the time now from de Mbr to start the failing OS in a save mode. Windows did give me then a message that the \Windows\system32\config\system file is corrupted. So I've a big problem. I tried the automaic repair option. A lot of files where replaced but not the system file. Probably I've have to do that manually from the W2k disk. But I'dont know if this is possible and eventually would fix the problem. Any idea?
Greetings!
Thoth
Yo, problem is solved. W2k has 3 backups of system file stored. One in .\system32\config folder, the system.alt file and 2 in %windows_home%\repair folder i.e regback and system. By renaming/replacing the corrupt system file with one of these files, the problem was solved. System.alt is most recent, after that regback and finally system. Regback worked for me. I only lost some registry entries and had to install some drivers again.
Topic can be closed.
Greetings
Thoth

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
TEAMGROUP 1x32GB DDR4 2666mHz Memory Module (Read Description)
$67.50
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Micron 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 ECC Registered 288-Pin DIMM
$850.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM DIMM 288-Pin Desktop RAM 2 Modules
$30.00