Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Disable harddrive swap file on boot?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9

    Disable harddrive swap file on boot?

    On boot Knoppix polls the various partitions on the system, includes them in fstab and as mount icons on the desktop. Knoppix will also auto-mount a linux swap partition if it finds one on the harddrive (type 82). Is there any other partiton type that Knoppix mounts rw (even momentarily) on boot? How would I disable this either as a cheatcode or in miniroot -> linuxrc? Functions that concern me:

    mountit()
    mountmodules()

    I can see that they are necessary to find and mount KNOPPIX, but I can't see where it's finding the linux swap partition. I'm concerned about data modification, specifically MAC times.

    Thanks. L. Riske

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    the scanning and modifying of fstab is in knoppix-autoconfig calling rebuildfstab which calls scanpartition.

    just out of curiosity, what is the concern of mounting swap partition ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the tip. That helps a lot.

    There's also a cheatcode: noswap. This is exactly what I was looking for.

    The reason I want to turn off swap is for forensic analysis. If I'm doing an autopsy on a linux machine I don't want Knoppix overwriting the swap partition. There may be a lot of evidence in there. :).

    I also can't have Knoppix accessing any of the partitions rw and changing their mac times. This would also tamper with possible evidence. (I'm embarassed to say that the cheatcode page even references this: "The "noswap" option is useful for a forensic analysis without touching existing swap partitions.")

    Thanks again for the help. All of those knoppix- files in init.d are "interesting" :).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    thanks for the perspective. Now my next linux system would have AES-loop filters on the swap, would that beat you

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    16
    I to need this functionallity also. I am currentlly re-mastering a forensic tool kit out of KNOPPIX. I should be able to change this script and get knoppix not to mount swap on boot right? Also, for those of you using KNOPPIX for forensic analysis of machines, I have done a validation study and have found mounting EXT3 and reiserfs partitions read-only changes the state of the drive. I am publishing my paper on my website later next week. Now the good news is that it seems to be the Kernel and not KNOPPIX. I have repeated these test with other distros and have come up with the same results. Now I do know that mounting read-only will not let you write to the drive and I believe it is probably a journaling issue since EXT3 and reiser are newer journaling file systems. The tests were conducted on NTFS, FAT32, ETX2, EXT3, and reiserfs. FAT32, NTFS and EXT2 mounts read-only faired ok and did not change the state of the drive. Although it may just be a journaling issue, it may not fly when it comes to law enforcement evidnce issues. Now those in the private sector it may be a different story. Oh well, hope my white paper explains it well. I lost my inital test results and had to do it all over again so one more week till it gets on to my publications section of my website....


    Thanks,
    Ernie Baca
    www.linux-forensics.com

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9
    wow, Very good information. I'll watch for that paper.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    16
    I finally posted my Knoppix study and my new re-master called the Penguin Sleuth. You can find them at

    www.linux-forensics.com

    The Knoppix paper is in the publications section.

    Thanks,
    Ernie Baca
    www.linux-forensics.com

Similar Threads

  1. swap on a regular file
    By ddrex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 04:35 PM
  2. swap file question
    By herbyweed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
  3. swap file is gone after reboot
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 08:46 AM
  4. Killing the swap file on boot
    By lockejr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
  5. Hdd Install of swap file
    By fjon13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GTZR picture

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

$159.99



Samsung 16GB DDR4 ECC Registered PC4-2666V 288-Pin RDIMM RAM M393A2K40CB2 picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 ECC Registered PC4-2666V 288-Pin RDIMM RAM M393A2K40CB2

$60.00



SK hynix 16GB DDR5 5600 PC5-5600B 262-Pin SO-DIMM Non-ECC RAM picture

SK hynix 16GB DDR5 5600 PC5-5600B 262-Pin SO-DIMM Non-ECC RAM

$200.00



Lot of 8 PIECES: Kingston 32GB DDR4-3200MHz KVR32N22D8/32 Desktop Memory Ram picture

Lot of 8 PIECES: Kingston 32GB DDR4-3200MHz KVR32N22D8/32 Desktop Memory Ram

$1299.00



Kingston DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SCO-12 picture

Kingston DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SCO-12

$59.99



CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz Desktop RAM Memory  picture

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz Desktop RAM Memory

$225.00



XPG DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200 UDIMM 288-Pin AX4U32008G16A picture

XPG DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200 UDIMM 288-Pin AX4U32008G16A

$200.00



Teamgroup 16gb ddr4 2666Mhz Desktop 288-pin Single Ram Stick. picture

Teamgroup 16gb ddr4 2666Mhz Desktop 288-pin Single Ram Stick.

$46.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99