-
New to Knoppix & Vista
I have a Vista machine with a password at bootup but do not have the password. I am trying to use Knoppix in an attempt to access files on the Vista machine.
I have downloaded Knoppix using an XP machine. I d/l V5.1.1 2007-01-04-en.iso and burned on to a cd.
After changing the boot setup, the computer shows only a black screen. It does not boot up.
What have I missed?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: New to Knoppix & Vista

Originally Posted by
jacartlidge
...After changing the boot setup, the computer shows only a black screen. It does not boot up.
What have I missed?
Potentially so many things. Most likely you don't know how to properly burn an ISO file. See answer #1 for details.
If you do make a bootable disk, get it to start to boot, see a boot prompt, but then get a black screen, you likely need to use some "cheat codes" or hardware hints at boot time. But I don't think that you're there yet.
Also, it's not clear what you intend to do to the Vista system from Knoppix. Knoppix isn't a good tool to try to recover a boot password. And you should not try to write to the Vista partition with Knoppix, it will very likely corrupt the disk. Knoppix should be able to read an unencrypted Vista partition just fine, but not write to one. Fortunately, the default mount mode for Knoppix and Vista (NTFS) partitions is read only.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Re: New to Knoppix & Vista
Ok, I will study download wiki for info. Since you sent me there I expect to be able to find info on creating the bootable cd.
In the meantime....
I am only interested in accessing data from the Vista machine, not saving or amending data to the Vista machine.
With that as my goal, is knoppix capable od doing what I want?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: New to Knoppix & Vista

Originally Posted by
jacartlidge
Ok, I will study download wiki for info. Since you sent me there I expect to be able to find info on creating the bootable cd.
The faq covers many things that come up again and again in making the CD or DVD. In particular pay attention to the importance of the md5 test (particularly if you used a mirror and not a torrent download), a slow speed burn, and burning as an image, as well as not taking an option to make the disk bootable.

Originally Posted by
jacartlidge
I am only interested in accessing data from the Vista machine, not saving or amending data to the Vista machine.
With that as my goal, is knoppix capable od doing what I want?
Knoppix can read the files on an uncorrupted and unencrypted NTFS partition just fine. Once you do that you could save them to a FAT formatted flash device or transfer then to another system on the network if you wish.
Similar Threads
-
By Sarah James in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
-
By bkihwe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
-
By Joe2Shoe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
-
By Laos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM
-
By dhs13 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM TVKGH 88Wh Laptop Battery For Dell Latitude 9510 2-in-1 Latitude 9510 9520
$29.43

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

OEM Genuine 42WH WDX0R WDXOR Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$29.79

OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W
$31.69

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Genuine OEM 6MT4T 62WH Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$17.88

Dell Genuine Toner Full Set Of 4 CMYK 2130cn/2135cn CT201180-CT201183
$39.99

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery WV3K8 Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3320 3330 3515
$47.95