-
WD My Book mounting issue
My WD My Book will not mount properly, it spins up no problem and is recognised as a local drive by XP but when I try to open it I am asked if I want to format it and cannot access the files which I desperately need to access. I booted up using Knoppix but again it sees the drive but when I try to access it I get the error message that it is an unknown file format. Is there any way using knoppix I can access the drive to get the files off? I am new to Linux so please be patient if I ask questions
. Thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you start knoppix it is a chance that you will see a icon on the desktop allowing you to see the files.
backing things up should be failry easy after that if you have a burner (other drive than the one knoppix CD/DVD is in). just start a porgram called k3b (KIIIB) and burn.
or fit a fat formatted USB disk (pendrive...) to the linux system, i will never consider NTFS safe, it even fails fairly frequently under windows.
-
yes I can see the drive in knoppix but when I try to access it I get the message 'cannot open unrecognized file format'.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If neither xp or Knoppix will read it, there's a good chance the disk has been damaged either physically or magnetically. While there are tools available in linux that may be helpful for recovering data , learning about them will take awhile, especially if you haven't used the command line interface.
You might want to look at some commercial products, for example Spin Rite.
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm
-
I have tried using testdisk and it does see the partition but cannot access or repair it due to a read error after about 87% of the scan. What would be the best data recovery software that I could try for file retrieval? Spinrite is one I have been told about but HDD regenerator is another one.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Success, I have managed to rebuild the boot sector with testdisk! I have all my info back, thanks for all who helped.
Similar Threads
-
By rashaunny in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-28-2005, 05:48 AM
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
-
By dmpop in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-18-2004, 02:51 PM
-
By Guitarplaya512 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By Neb00 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99

Intel Core i9-13900K Processor (5.8 GHz, 24 Cores, LGA 1700)
$320.00

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU
$99.99

WINDOWS 11 PRO 64-BIT USB
$32.99

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95