Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Knoppix hangs on boot up

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix hangs on boot up

    Hi,

    I made a Knoppix v5.1 CD to try on my Windows XP Pro machine. I have the same problem now that I had years ago when I tried Knoppix. IE: it starts to find all the stuff on the machine but it get to a point where it says " Looking for CD in : /dev /hdc " And that's as far as it goes. I tried to run the debug mode but that only gave me the same error.

    I apologize that I don't know how to send any logs or anything else Knoppix might make to help someone diagnose my trouble. Oddly enough the same CD that makes my machine hang up works fine on my other machine that uses XP Home edition.

    Any thoughts on what I can do to make it run on MY machine? I have seen similar messages using SEARCH on the forum but no definitive answers as to what the erro code means or how to fix it.

    Thanks in advance,

    Tinsby

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21

    Knoppix hang at boot time

    Ether the drive is not getting detected or speed problem try knoppix nodma at boot prompt and post the result

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7

    Re: Knoppix hang at boot time

    Quote Originally Posted by nalini
    Ether the drive is not getting detected or speed problem try knoppix nodma at boot prompt and post the result
    I tried what you suggested and the result is the same as my original posting. Knoppix just sits there and says " Looking for CD in : /dev /hdc "

    Sorry I don't know what else to do with it.

    thank you,

    Tinsby

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    I would just make sure that the disk was burned at a slow speed. Sometimes a disk burned at a higher speed will work in one system and not in another. The same thing goes for Music CD's, etc. Try a 4X burn and see what happens.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Hi Tinsby,

    Did you find a solution for your problem yet?
    I tried installing Knoppix as well, and got the same message, except that I run it from DVD and the message is:
    "Looking for DVD in : /dev /hdc"

    After a minute or so another message says:
    "Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to busybox shell.
    /static/ash; can't access tty
    job control turned off"

    Regards,
    Schrimax

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dunedin, Flordia
    Posts
    20

    Try KNoppix testcd

    Find another machine and run knoppix test cd from the boot prompt if all checks out good then check your drives and see if they are Sata IDE or whatever if they are Sata you amy need to wait for a newer version or you could try the Original Debian Live cd not as Much stuff as knoppix but simular... you only need the debian live CD if you have SATA Rom Drives for some reson knoppox doesnt seenm to be supporting them yet.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    Hi Tinsby,
    your computer is working well.
    I have the same problem with 2 different Knoppix DVD's.
    Ver. 5.3.0, which was added to the german computer mgazine c't and Ver. 5.3.1 which I made from a downloaded iso-image. In the computer magazine forum I found the following solution:
    When the knoppix boot screen appears, type: knoppix hdc=cdrom hdc=noprobe
    After that Knoppix will start
    Regards Laber

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Hi Laber,

    Thanks for your advice. It works for me now!

    Now I will try to figure out Knoppix. It has a lot of possibilities, so it seems.

    Regards,
    Schrimax

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pescara
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Laber
    [...] When the knoppix boot screen appears, type: knoppix hdc=cdrom hdc=noprobe
    After that Knoppix will start
    [...]
    This workaround don't works with SCSI boot devices

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1
    Having a variation on the same problem. When the boot reach the step:
    Accessing knoppix CD at /dev/hda... (yah; hda, not hdc)
    I get an error message:
    ismod: can't read '/cdrom/koppix/modules/cloop.ko': I/O error
    ismod: can't read '/cdrom/koppix/modules/cloop.ko': I/O error

    After which I'm told that the knoppix file system cannot be read (sorry!) and I drop to a minimal shell.

    Help? Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.0.1 hangs at boot - HP pavilion zv5000
    By Vincent Frost in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 04:13 AM
  2. SATA drive is boot yet Knoppix 4 hangs
    By Quip Frok in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 07:16 PM
  3. knoppix 4 hangs at boot
    By jimc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 06:34 PM
  4. knoppix hangs by boot.
    By Athalon1951 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
  5. Knoppix boot from CD gives error and hangs...
    By StuPC in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2003, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02) picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02)

$9.00



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00