-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: booting of winxp sp2 vaio after knoppix 5.2 "fails&

Originally Posted by
mken
Hallo folks,
Info :Using knoppix 5.2 from c't magazine 7/2007 and following their instructions. One San Cruzer usb micro and 4 wd external harddrives (chained with firewire 400)
I tried knoppix (for the 1st time) last night on a sony vaio pcg 791m with win xp home edition sp2.
knoppix booted fine after i set "knoppix nopcmcia" - very impressive.
In the X windows environment everything was fine (except that the left hand mouse button did not work, but
I have this behaviour occasionally in winxp too since installing IE7! - so I'm off to buy a usb mouse anyway)
The real problem came after quitting the session properly. The machine went down, i removed the dvd. Then I switched the laptop on again. Everything seemed to be ok, but after some time when lights on the external drives flickered, the light in the usb stick went off. After this nothing more happened. The screen displayed the winxp logo with the progress bar moving left to right and back again.
I was in a mild panic. No control key worked - so I switched off the laptop.
I disconnected the usb stick and firewire cable.
On reboot I was given the chance to select last good configuration - but I just selected "normal".
The winxp booted successfully!
I plugged in the usb stick - fine.
Connected and switched on firewire - again fine.
I am quite relieved to have winxp back (if only because all my work's there, not because I'm a winxp fan!).
My question (finally) is:
Is this "normal" behaviour? - if so does anyone know why this might be so (knoppix is read only right)?
Should I go ahead and try knoppix again? - I'd like to, but I'm worried...
All help/advice/encouragement greatly appreciated.
Mike
Never user knoppix 5.2 before. But on knoppix 5.1 and all previous version, never have the situation as you mentioned. So to me, it is not normal since the knoppix run on RAM plus your cd only. Should not touch your hard disk at all unless you ask them to do so.
Rgds,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By GCMartin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
-
By muki46 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
-
By silence in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum Networking
Replies: 84
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 01:02 PM
-
By andyed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-12-2003, 04:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone
$699.99

Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box
$1500.00

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99