-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I thought I tried very hard to make it clear that I did not think that you were a shill, just that your discussion on this seemed to me to be strongly colored in one direction and rather dismissive of alternatives. You brought up VMware in your original post and stated that it would cost $189 to be able to build the VMware VMX file, so I didn't feel I was wondering off topic when I corrected that. Sure, if I or anyone wanted to do as extensive of a writeup on VMware that you have done here for Virtualbox, it should be down as a separate thread. But I'm not the one who brought up VMware, I just corrected negative information about it from the original thread. That is not "off topic".
Of the 4 links that you gave, the 2nd and 4th are bad, and lead to this page: http://home.comcast.net/site/error/error_404.html. Too bad, since they were the ones that might have given some information.
I've only installed VMware under Windows XP and Debian. You likely already know my biases against installing Knoppix to hard disk or trying to install too much to Knoppix (lots of problems caused by the mixed Debian versions that make up Knoppix.) If something installs to Knoppix, that's great and a nice bonus. But if something doesn't install properly, I generally put the suspicion of blame on Knoppix and not the application. I certainly don't suggest installing more that one major virtualization tool to any one instance of an OS. As I said before, too much is likely to go wrong, and it sounds like what you are doing when you blame VMware for causing problems. This is particularly true with networking, which actually involves some complex issues to create an independent subnetwork that runs on a virtualized NIC that can cleanly but yet safely communicate with the real NIC and the rest of the network. And I say major to rule out simple virtualization programs like DOSBOX, which co-exists fine on a system running VMware. For those wishing to try Vmware, virtualbox or other virtualization software with a Live CD, I suggest keeping a separate persistent image for each virtualization tool, as well as choosing a live CD that is receptive to the software.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By ex-para in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-19-2009, 08:42 AM
-
By sucram.resse in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2009, 03:23 PM
-
By alteredcarbon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
-
By otzberg in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-16-2006, 11:16 PM
-
By howagood in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99