Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Unmountable Boot Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2

    Unmountable Boot Drive

    Hi All,

    Firstly Knoppix is fantastic, really impressed with it so far.

    I was orginally forced into booting with Knoppix since xp wasn't loading from my Hard drive. Safe mode wouldn't load either. I just got a message saying unmountable boot drive. Did a bit of research and it seems I have bad sectors on the drive. I doubt it is a physical error since it is reading and writing perfectly from Knoppix.

    My question really is: How can I repair my hard drive from Knoppix. I ran the xp recovery console using the xp cd with the usual commands chkdsk /p, chkdsk /r fixboot etc. Nothing has worked. I really need to get the pc up and running again. Can anyone help on this?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I can not give you a way to repair a Windows partition with Knoppix. I suggest instead that you use Knoppix, which you say can read the partition just fine, to back up the files that you want from the windows system. Then completely reformat and reinstall windows. Yea, it's a pain. Windows users get used to it though. Otherwise the quite being windows users. Any "fix" is likely just to corrupt the partition and cause you to experience a complete partition failure later.

    There are many ways to backup your data using Knoppix. I suggest installing a Windows FTP server on another windows box and transfer the desired files by FTP across a network, using Knoquror as an FTP client.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Well I would make sure
    1. Your drive's data cable is securely plugged into the connectors, drive and motherboard.
    2. Your cable is good, by trying a different cable.

    Next I would look for some confirmation of impending drive failure.
    Knoppix has the smartctl and smartd programs of the smartmontools package.
    If your drive is starting to fail... it should show up in there.

    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#sampleoutput

    But the disk that comes with most boxed hard drives have some diagnostics on them as well.
    Did you throw away the disk that came with your drive? If you know the brand... you can download an iso, or a zipfile if you are lucky...
    of that brands utilities disk from the website.

    Good Luck.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Cheers Lads. Harry took your advice and did a system / factory reset and that did the trick. Unfortunatly I have to set up my pc again. Cest la Vie. John I downloaded the seagate drive check utility so will give that a bash.
    Have done a hard drive check and there were bad clusters on the HD. Suppose to take the positive I have got my first taste of Linux with Knoppix and going to user iot more often.

    Thanks again for all the help.

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer From USB boot to hard drive boot.
    By FSL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. How to boot from USB Drive
    By homefry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
  3. Boot iso on pen drive by grub installed on pen drive
    By jena in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
  4. unmountable HDD partition. HELP!
    By daryl2158 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 04:13 PM
  5. Unmountable Boot Volume
    By Tekno in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5x MICRON 16GB 2RX8 PC4-2666V-RE1 Server Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6D1QI picture

5x MICRON 16GB 2RX8 PC4-2666V-RE1 Server Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6D1QI

$300.00



2 Sticks Of XPG GAMMINX 8GB DDR4 Ram - White picture

2 Sticks Of XPG GAMMINX 8GB DDR4 Ram - White

$55.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Smart 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RJ1-11 ECC REG Server Memory SH4097RD420472SBV Tested picture

Smart 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RJ1-11 ECC REG Server Memory SH4097RD420472SBV Tested

$172.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



7x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V HMA82GR7CJR8N-VK DDR4 ECC Reg Server Memory RAM picture

7x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V HMA82GR7CJR8N-VK DDR4 ECC Reg Server Memory RAM

$550.00



Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested picture

Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested

$4200.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00