Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: knetworkmanager

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    knetworkmanager

    Hello All,

    I have a question about installing and running knetwormanager under knoppix 5.1.1. I have been getting into remastering knoppix to customize it to my needs. I have been really enjoying moving to knoppix from suse and ubuntu and so far so good. The one problem I am having is getting my wireless network to connect with wpa enabled. I can use wep to connect but do not want to use it instead of wpa.

    I have been through the forum and reviewed the network articles but had little or no luck getting connected. I tried kwifi,madwifi and all utils built into knoppix. All my cards are recognized and my wireless scans no problem in those applications. This leaves me missing knetworkmanger wich I know works on other distros with no problems.

    The problem I am having is that I want to scrap the networking tools in the current knoppix and get knetworkmanager to work instead. As I said it is easier to use and worked great in other distros. I also noticed it worked and was installed in kanotix.

    I have my software being pulled from debian stable "etch". I do an apt-get install network-manager-kde and the application does install no problem. No errors or anything, the problem is that when I run it I get "no network device found". Is there away to get this application to work?

    I really do not want to switch to kanotix because of one issue. Could someone help me? I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

    Thanks,
    Frank

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    knetworkmanager

    For anyone else who is interested.After digging around I found that I was able to get this to work. Here is what I had to do...

    1)apt-get install knetworkmanager (etch reps)

    2)vi /etc/network/interfaces (Clear this file of all the entries. Not sure if this is needed.)

    3)cd /etc/dbus-1/system.d (Modify the two files in the directory called knetworkmanager.conf and Networkmanager.conf. On these two files I set policy user="knoppix")

    I then started it and it worked like a charm. Connected wpa no problem and picked up my wired network. I would still like to hear if anyone has other feedback on this.

    I was wondering if KNOPPIX adds the entries to /etc/network/interfaces at boot and how can I stop that. Like I said I am not sure if this file needs to be empty but the above steps did work.

    Frank

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Maybe this will help

    http://wiki.debian.org/WPA

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    #Back up the current ifconfig file
    mv /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.back

    #Use touch to create a blank file needed for knetworkmanager
    touch /etc/network/interfaces

    #Replace the root user in these files with the knoppix user
    sed -i 's/root/knoppix/g' '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/knetworkmanager.conf'
    sed -i 's/root/knoppix/g' '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf'

    knetworkmanager - launch and enable it as the knoppix user. You might have to disable and enable it if it says no devices found.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR LSI 9260-8i 8-Port 6Gb/s SAS SATA RAID Controller picture

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR LSI 9260-8i 8-Port 6Gb/s SAS SATA RAID Controller

$39.97



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99