Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 94

Thread: Knoppix 5.3

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    On the old KNOPPIX 5.1, the KNOPPIX file was ~700MB so it would fit on a CD, and KNOPPIX2 took up the rest of the space on the DVD. I think that was why there were two files.

  2. #42
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 5.3.1 Bug Reports

    Hello,
    I created a Knoppix 5.3.1 report page:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/5.3.1DVD
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    PS: it would be good to know how we could help Klaus in proposing bug fixes and/or testing new betas...

  3. #43
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 5.3.1 Terminal server is Ok.

    Hello,
    Please accept my apologies, the Knoppix 5.3.1 Terminal Server does work.
    (as suggested by others I had a setup problem)
    Thanks,
    Gilles

  4. #44
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Still I am glad to have the new bug page. And........ I'm glad to hear that it is working.

  5. #45
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    18

    liveDVD 5.3.1 Bug Page

    I like KNOPPIX 5.3.1 on DVD but updating or adding software was a problem.

    I updated the "BUG Page" at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/5.3.1DVD with my awkward solution.

    What is the best way to keep software updated? Do I need to burn DVD every few days?

  6. #46
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    No CD Version?

    It's now over a month since the DVD of Knoppix 5.3.1 came out and there is still no CD version available. Does anyone know if Klaus has officially announced that there will be no more CD versions, announced the intention to make a CD version eventually, or has said nothing on the subject? I guess there are Live Linux distros that are better in some ways than Knoppix for Live CD and USB key work, but if it's gone I'll still miss the Knoppx CD. It was a great disc to carry around in my "emergency kit", and CD is still a better choice than DVD for being able to boot on almost any system.

  7. #47
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10

    Anybody made a CD version? Slightly different way to put it.

    I'm also one of these people checking back every week or so to see when the CD version shows up. But I'm wondering if there is a way to make the CD version from the DVD version. Obviously there is a way to do anything since it's all FOSS but I mean a fairly simple way that was intentionally put into the DVD version for such a purpose. Earlier in this 5.3 news thread there was something about the size of files being broken down into smaller units. Is it possible that there is a CD version bundled within the DVD version that could be extracted fairly easily?

    Or has anybody else remastered a CD version off of the 5.3 DVD? I noticed that Kanotix actually did have a fairly recent upgrade which was interesting because it sounded like there wasn't going to be anything else coming out of that project after one of the devs split a few years ago.

    Oh yeah, and since I'm here posting on 5.3, let me pose a question to anbody who has played with it. The question is this: In the move from 5.01 to 5.11 there were bunch of changes in the locations of some important files from /usr/init.d/ to /usr/sbin. Does that remain the case in 5.3? Personally I've found FTPing into a 5.11 maching problematic. It works sometimes but not others and if I boot the same machine with 5.01 or earlier I have no problems so it seems like something is buggy about this relocation. Any input on that?

  8. #48
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Last week I read a post on the mailing list archives. The poster suggested that Klaus was looking for some suggestions to list the software that should be included on the CD version as opposed to the DVD version.

    So it looks hopeful that some kind of KNOPPIX 5.3.X live CD will arrive soon.

    I hope so because the CD version is more universal because there are many computers that do not have DVD drives and also 1GB USB thumb drives are much cheaper than 4GB drives.

  9. #49
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    94
    I'd be happy with a cd that could just boot the dvd.iso. surely that isnt a big ask to those in the know..

  10. #50
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    boot from iso DVD/CD image

    Quote Originally Posted by hat_monkey
    I'd be happy with a cd that could just boot the dvd.iso. surely that isnt a big ask to those in the know..
    You may want to try booting from the iso using grub 4 dos (non invasive boot loader allowing for multi boot) + kernel + customized initrt, cf:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=117224#117224
    I used it every day for the very same reason: I do not have a DVD/CD on my machines and iso boot is much faster as well...
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022 picture

Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022

$4999.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95