-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix 5.3.1
I am really happy to see knoppix 5.3.1. Eagerly waiting for CD version. I hope re mastering procedure remains the same.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: 5.3.1 first impressions

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
I was really shocked that GIMP does NOT seem to be included, at least it wasn't in the Graphics menu.
It's there, it's just hidden in Lost & Found > Graphics. Which brings us to...

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
The menu system doesn't seem very well thought out or polished.
The K menu's simply atrocious. Granted, there's a gazillion programs on this DVD, but it could use a lot more organization. A ton of stuff ended up in "Lost & Found."
There seems to be a problem while loading a persistent disk image. After the success message, this error message comes up:
Code:
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/UNIONFS/etc/ssh/.wh..wh..opq": Operation not permitted (1)
At that point, if I press Ctrl+C, I get the message
Code:
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(506) [sender=3.0.0]
and it seems to load the persistent image fine. (Mine's on a FAT32 partition.)
-
Knoppix 5.3.1 Terminal Server doesn't work
Hello,
I tried the Knoppix 5.3.1 Terminal Server and it doesn't work:
cf: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/pxe531.jpg
Hope Klaus will fix it...
PS: Please find below an update for my Knoppix 5.3.1 ISO boot (with "ntfs_rw" cheatcode)
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=117224#117224
Best Regards,
Gilles
-
On the DVD, are there KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 files in the KNOPPIX directory, or is there no KNOPPIX2?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
maybeway36
On the DVD, are there KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 files in the KNOPPIX directory, or is there no KNOPPIX2?
There are still 2 files, KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2. They are now in a subdirectory of the Knoppix directory called gigantic. Strangely, the original reason given why there had to be two files was that ISO9660 format required files be less than 2 gig in size, thus the large compressed file had to be broken into multiple files. But in 5.3.1 the KNOPPIX file is 2,759,431,989 bytes. So I assume that ISO9660 compatibility is no longer an issue. Why there are still two files then is a mystery.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I tried virtualbox, and when installling the guest OS, (XPPro), I received an error message that virtualbox-ose-modules needs to be installed. Anyone else have this message. Can this be installed without creating the presistent disk image since I am still testing the system?
Thanks
Neeraj
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
maybeway36
On the DVD, are there KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 files in the KNOPPIX directory, or is there no KNOPPIX2?
There are still 2 files, KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2. They are now in a subdirectory of the Knoppix directory called gigantic. Strangely, the original reason given why there had to be two files was that ISO9660 format required files be less than 2 gig in size, thus the large compressed file had to be broken into multiple files. But in 5.3.1 the KNOPPIX file is 2,759,431,989 bytes. So I assume that ISO9660 compatibility is no longer an issue. Why there are still two files then is a mystery.
Actually, ISO9660 is reported to have a 4GB file size limitation.
I guess KNOPPIX file size is limited for some other purpose. Maybe there are some operating systems or file systems that do not play nice with files larger than 2,759,431,989 bytes.
Or maybe there is some organizational reason to keep the two compressed filesystems split in a certain way.
I suppose someone could ask Mr. Knopper if he/she wants to know the definitive answer.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
cbagger01
Actually, ISO9660 is reported to have a 4GB file size limitation.
The first official Knoppix DVD was under 4 gig in size, but still had the compressed file split in two, and this was the reason given, right or wrong.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Knoppix 5.3.1 CD?
Hi,
I checked out a few download mirrors - but could not find the CD iso of Knoppix 5.3.1. There are DVD iso's.
The last CD version of Knoppix I can see is 5.1.
Does any know where the CD iso of Knoppix 5.3.1 can be downloaded?
Are future releases of Knoppix discontinued on CD?
Thanks,
M.K.Nambiar
-
now that the KNOPPIX compressed file is over 2G, extract_compressed_fs fails at 2.1G processed
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.66