-
I've got 5.1.1 on CD and 5.3.1 on DVD (the official version in both cases). They are not really comparable because the DVD version offers so much more than the CD version, but I find that both work excellently. The DVD version has a couple of things that I need that the CD version lacks, including gnuplot and gcc, so during sessions that I need them, I use the DVD. From a purely physical point of view, the DVD sometimes fails to boot on my work machine (maybe 2/10 of occasions) whereas it always boots successfully at home (being the machine on which the DVD was created, as it happens). I think the engineering tolerances are so fine because of the amount squeezed into the DVD, that the reader simply fails sometimes. I think it's this kind of failure that causes some users to throw their arms into the air, panic and revert. (Why is this? If their car fails to start, do people throw it away or go and buy the old one back? People seem to have expectations of software and hardware that would be obviously unrealistc in any other context.) I do not regard either version as "better" than the other, it's just that one of them is bigger. They are both staggeringly good!
Fergus
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$199.99

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition
$435.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99