Looks like the problem was that my Plextor burner can't write a CD properly. Just tried a CD that came with a Linux manual book and it worked fine.
Wondered if you someone might be able to help.
I am completely new to Linux and after failing miserably to install Mandrake 9.1 and Redhat I decided to try what I thought would be the more straightforward route of Knoppix. However my laptop (Hi-Grade Notino AS6000 laptop 6GB, PII/300, 144MB) gives me a very similar message in all three cases.
from the boot: prompt in Knoppix I have used “failsafe” to which I get the following messages…
Loading vmlinuz…
Loading miniroot.gz…..
Ready
Uncompressing Linux…
crc error
System halted
The last three lines are identical in each of the three Linux builds.
I have experimented with some of the hardware related install switches but all to no avail.
Looks like the problem was that my Plextor burner can't write a CD properly. Just tried a CD that came with a Linux manual book and it worked fine.
i had the same thing happen to me as i was making a rescue disk for RH6. the floppy i used contained a date activated virus that infected my hard drive, and wouldnt allow me to partition my hard drive at all. i tried both fdisk and disk druid. then i thought about it and tried resetting my cmos. worked a treat, install went ahead then with no probs.
good luck

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01