-
Nvidia drivers and linux headers
Well I am finally gonna break down and ask for some help here. I am linux nub but have managed to get knoppix 5.1.1 installed to hard drive and even installed a couple of programs. I am however still running into a problem that I cant quite seem to get past.
I installed this system to hard drive with my 19" LCD hooked up and it displays at the native 1280x1024. This computer will eventually be living on a small CRT capable of 1024x768 but when it is hooked up to such a beast the GUI is not displayed(I can see it booting up and if I stop X can work from the command line). Now even when I am on the 19" LCD it will not let me change the resolution, when I change the resolution it goes back to the login screen but once back at desktop I am still at 1280x1024.
I thought maybe I would try latest nvidia drivers to see if that might fix both issues. Once I change the runlevel (init 3 i have been using) to quit X and run the nvidia installer it tells me it cannot find linux headers -- it then tries to download them -- that doesnt work so it tries to compile them --- that doesnt work so it errors out.
I have found a couple different stories on the linux headers under knoppix
1. Source is available for purchase from Mr. Knopper and can somehow be used to create the headers I and nvidia installer need
2. Can use apt-get to install headers. I checked into this one. Now in /lib/modules is a folder call 2.6.19 so i should be looking for linux headers 2.6.19 right?
When I run "aptitude search linux-headers- | less" I get a whole list of them but amazingly enough it skips from linux-headers-2.6.18.* to linux-headers-2.6.22.*
Can I use apt-get and get one of the newest (2.6.23) linux-headers and expect it to work?
3. I have read that the headers can be found on the knoppix DVD somewhere (I installed to Hard drive off the CD version). So I downloaded the DVD iso, burnt it, mounted it... but I have no idea where on the DVD to find the linux headers I need.
Honesly I have looked at so many how-to's, FAQ's and forum posts on this it is all getting a little fuzzy. I will say this... I am enjoying myself and learning some command line stuff out of necessity along the way.
Ahh and BTW I know that knoppix is not meant for the hard drive but the live CD was the only linux distro(i tried many of them) that I could get to auto recognize the hardware on this old computer. Since my linux skill is not quite up to snuff auto hardware recognition at least getting me to a desktop was a must.
I guess that is about it for now... any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any other info I can provide.
Similar Threads
-
By ron653 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-21-2007, 02:21 AM
-
By DigitalMaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM
-
By DigitalMaster in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-19-2005, 06:15 AM
-
By yuhnstuff in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
-
By ool in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$385.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99