-
Senior Member
registered user
I cleared out a 20GB partition... and formatted it as an ext3 partition before I ran the new installer, 0wn. That's a zero.
Then I read some of the scripts. 0wn is actually /usr/sbin/0wn and it has some support scripts in /usr/share/0wn.
I chose the middle option which was a Knoppix on hard disk option... likely to preserve as much Knoppix as possible.
Since I had 970MB swap space... I decided to edit 0wn-common to reduce it to SWAP_NEEDED=$((1000*974))
111 # this is no real necessity, just policy
112 SWAP_NEEDED=$((1000*1024))
In reading it, it seemed as though it might allow me an option to append my already existing menu.lst, but I didn't get that option.
So rather than let it mess with my mbr I chose the other way. For it not to modify anything on my boot drive. It left a menu.lst in the newly installed knoppix partition... in /boot/grub/menu.lst. So I copied the Knoppix item to mine. I did notice it had lang=de in the menu item and so I changed that. (When I booted up... kde was in Gerrman as well!)
This is great.
If you haven't tried out the 0wn installer... give that a shot.
Alternatively, you can run from the iso file you downloaded... using grub4dos, and Gilles Van Ryumbeke's enhanced minirt.gz.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 has more details about that method. Googling minirt_531.gz should get you the related pages quicker than a search here.
Grub4dos allows you to dualboot without messing with any modifications to any vital drive areas, like the mbr. You simply tell windows to load it, which it does... and off you go into linux land.
Similar Threads
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
-
By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 Digitizer Battery Back Cover EB-BX306GBY
$150.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron Used
$399.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor
$41.00

Dell Chromebook 11 3100 11.6'' I 4020 4GB 16GB VERY CLEAN RUNS WELL NON TOUCHSC
$27.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00