Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: KDE, apt-get and Knoppix

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    By the way, when I'm trying to install kdict now, I got a HUGE amount of unmet dependencies:

    root@terminus:/home/knoppix# apt-get -s install kdict
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
    kappfinder: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kcharselect: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kcoloredit: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kdeaddons-kfile-plugins: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.1) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libvorbis0a (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
    kdepim-libs: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kdessh: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kdict: Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1) but it is not going to be installed
    khexedit: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kmail: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libkdenetwork2 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody2 is to be installed
    Depends: libmimelib1 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-1woody2 is to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    ksim: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    kuickshow: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    libarts1-dev: Depends: libarts1 (= 1.1.2-1) but 1.1.0-0woody4 is to be installed
    libartsc0-dev: Depends: libartsc0 (= 1.1.2-1) but 1.1.0-0woody4 is to be installed
    libfam-dev: Depends: libfam0c102 (= 2.6.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
    libkscan1: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libsane (>= 1.0.11-3) but 1.0.11-2 is to be installed
    Depends: libusb-0.1-4 (>= 1:0.1.7) but 1:0.1.6a-2.1 is to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

    As I read it, apt-get states that all the pakets that where to be installed bear to low version numbers???

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I have seen this kind of annoying behaviour before about apt-get. There is some logic inside that actually prevent this kind of mixing stable/testing/unstable, at least not the way I expect it to work. Can you try uncomment both stable/testing in the sources.list ?

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    stable, testing and unstable are all uncommented (sources.list ist still the one posted in the first post of this thread)
    I decided for this sources.list after reading a whole thread debatting about it. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2086)
    testing is used as a standard (apt.conf), but I had to specify "-t unstable" for kdict to get apt-get to work in the first place.
    The weird thing is, that after breaking down once, apt-get won't let me continue (no matter if I specify "-t unstable" or not), but gives me a whole load of unmet dependencies that apparently weren't there before!
    If it would simply repeatedly fail to install a single package, I could force that with dpkg, but so?

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    ah, I don't know what I was typing. I was meant to say try comment out the stable/testing. the referring to 2.2.2 etc. was sourced from that two source. apt-get just got mixed up here and there, that is my experience with it.

    people say apt-get rules, I think there is still lots of minor details(especially in this mixing environment) needs to be ironed out. Not as smart as I expected.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    Ok, I did outcomment them (leaving only the two unstable lines uncommented inside the sources.list), did apt-get update to inform apt-get about that change, and then typed the same "apt-get -s install kdict": Same huge list of unmet dependencies
    And again, adding the "-t unstable" doesn't change a thing.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    nothing more I can help

    I also found this apt-get thing very annoying, may be time to go gentoo, if you have the necessary hardware.

    For now, I am satisfied with my Woody only environment, less conflicts to deal with(not that there isn't, just manageable).

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    kappfinder: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.2) but 4:3.1.0-0woody5 is to be installed
    Depends: libfam0c102 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    this is what dpkg -l kappfinder gives me on my woody system:
    ii kappfinder 3.1.1-0woody3 KDE Application Finder

    note: I am using version 3.1.1-0woody3 of kappfinder and on your machine you are trying to install 3.1.0-0woody5 a lower version than I am running on my woody system. Something is wrong!

    What does:
    apt-get -s install kdebase
    give for output?

    But why the heck do I have to upgrade half my system?
    I thought KDE 3 stays binary-compatible?
    Not so for almost the entire KDE system!
    One of the major headaches with KDE is that every minor version (3.0 - 3.1 etc) has to be almost completely reinstalled because a big chunk of the whole KDE system is changed.

    Note: when(if) you do the kdebase upgrade (or apt-get dist-upgrade) you will run into some dkpg errors because of files being included in two packages, so when you get the dpkg foo-bar file is also in package blah error, see this post

    HTH

    rock

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    At the moment it would state "kdebase is already the newest version"
    I went on playing with apt-get and dpkg and finale made the upgrade (though I temporarilly deconfigured my KDE by mistake )
    Everything seems to run fine, except I somehow managed to crash the KDE help system (states "Could not start process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_help'.)

    So I can now say something about upgrading KDE on knoppix: It is important to reduce the sources.list to just two lines: either the two for testing or the two for unstable (I did it with unstable, so I can't really speak for the other choice)
    Than you should do an "apt-get update" and then "apt-get install arts kdelibs kdebase kdegraphics kdeadmin kdemultimedia" or "apt-get install kde" (the second one fetches even more packages)
    Hopefully apt-get doesn't see any problems beforehand and at least downloads all this stuff, cause I don't know how to get it effeciently onto your hard disk elsewhere (option --download-only strangely doesn't help)
    When apt-get finally runs into a problem setting up the packages, this should be solveble using dpkg:
    do "cd /var/cache/apt/archives"
    dpkg expects the file name ([package]blah.deb) instead of the package-name.
    But cause you're in the right directory you can simply type the packagename and let the console filll in the rest via tab
    So do "dpkg -i [packagename][TAB]"
    dpkg should tell you the name of another package that needs to be installed or removed first.
    If it wants another package, repeat "dpkg -i [packagename][TAB]" for this package
    If it wants another package removed, do "echo [package] deinstall | dpkg --set-selections"
    Make sure that the steps you take make sence! "apt-cache show [package]" gives you information about a package.
    When you finally managed to install the package correctly apt-get wasn't able to, you can rerun your old apt-get command, and it should procede.

    Maybe this helps out, when someone faces the same problem I did.
    One more hint: dont use dpkg's option "--auto-deconfigure" under any circumstances! It deconfigured all of my KDE without the sligthest hint.

    I would try out my steps ones more to make sure they work, but sadly the hard disk of my laptop is to small for that (unlest I discard Windows )

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3

    update your source-list

    As far as i know you have to update your source list - the ftp2 is old and should just read ftp as far as i can remember ...
    try this:

    # Stable
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    # Testing
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
    # Unstable
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    sources.list is not the problem, the problem is in the apt-get logic.

    I have tried to installed KDE 3.1.2 on a woody system without problem so long I specified those packages name found on kde.org rather than the kde meta package on debian(no such think on kde.org), then add a number of other packages(3.1.2) and remove a few. All went well. Today, I wanted to reinstall a removed package(3.1.2), and the unmet condition shows up. I am now unable to install any 3.1.2 package anymore, even I haven't changed one single line in sources.list.

    Either there is some bug in the apt-get logic or there is some bug in how they specify the package dependency.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$349.95