Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: SSHing Knoppix x 2 - problems!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4

    SSHing Knoppix x 2 - problems!

    I'm running clusterKnoppix and desperately trying to get a cluster up and running. The closeset I've been able to get is that openmosixview shows my 2nd node as joined but red and non-functioning. I started getting messages about the connection from my node on port 22. It was timing out. I'm assuming that I need to fix SSH and I have read that SSH needs to be passwordless for openmosix to really use it. Sooo, I did an experiment: Load 2 boxes both with clusterKnoppix, get an id_rsa.pub set up on it, and then copy it from my other computer.

    What I got was annoying. I have vi'ed into the sshd_conf file and allowed empty passwords. I've also allowed PubkeyAuthorization. When I create the ssh-key, I leave the pass phrase blank. When I get on my other computer, i attempt to scp the id_rsa.pub file into my system into an authorized_key file...but it prompts me for the Password:. I can't give Password: anything it likes. I'm not even sure what password its asking me for? Root? The pass phrase?. I even did passwd on the first computer and set the root password....and it would not accept what i set for Roots password. What am I missing here?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3

    Re: SSHing Knoppix x 2 - problems!

    Quote Originally Posted by Masiaka
    I'm running clusterKnoppix and desperately trying to get a cluster up and running. The closeset I've been able to get is that openmosixview shows my 2nd node as joined but red and non-functioning. I started getting messages about the connection from my node on port 22. It was timing out. I'..........................

    .........ts me for the Password:. I can't give Password: anything it likes. I'm not even sure what password its asking me for? Root? The pass phrase?. I even did passwd on the first computer and set the root password....and it would not accept what i set for Roots password. What am I missing here?
    Is has probably something to do with access rights or ownership. SSH refuses to function passwordless is the access rights are wrong.

    Do something like this on the server (from http://www.stearns.org/doc/ssh-techniques.current.html ):
    chmod 700 ~
    chmod 700 ~/.ssh
    chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

    Also check file ownership.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with apt-get in Knoppix 5.0.1
    By javiergp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
  2. knoppix problems
    By benjamin1254 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:01 AM
  3. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  4. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. knoppix cd problems
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00