-
WLAN with DELL XPS M1530
Hello World.
For some study-issues I have to run Linux on my Laptop.
It's a rather new one: Dell XPS M1530.
After booting I can't access the internet by using the integrated wlan-card.
kwlan is not showing any entries.
wlcardconfig is reporting there is no wirless-card.
How can I make Knoppix work with my hardware?
Here comes an extract from the lspci listing:
Code:
09:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Marvell Technology. Unknown device 4354 (rev.12)
0b:00.0 Network Controller: Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
Thanks in advance.
-
In the meanwile I got the info that I have to install the drivers.
Wow, thats really heavy stuff with linux.
Where do I have to run a command like "make menuconfig".
I have no idee where to run this code ...
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you can run a flavor of linux other than knoppix then look at something like Ubuntu or PCLinux that will be more likely to recognize your hardware out of the box.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
A good place to see all the various linux distributions: http://distrowatch.com/
Good luck
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
therealsega
In the meanwile I got the info that I have to install the drivers....
Unfortunately, while Knoppix is a good Live CD, wireless support is awful. Even for the little wireless hardware it does support, version 5.x has a lot of problems for me with wireless access even for hardware that worked fine in 4.02.
I agree with rusty, if you want a Live CD, consider other CDs. I find that Puppy Linux and Mandriva 1 have much better wireless support. BackTrack 2 has great wireless support, but it's somewhat specialized and may or may not have the Linux applications that you need. It's good for seeing if you wireless NIC is supported though. And there is just some wifi that isn't supported by Linux, a problem that is caused by manufacturers who seem to go out of their way to make a product "Windows only".
You might also want to consider installing Linux to hard disk (not Knoppix, but a suitable for install distro like Debian). that would make installing any drivers much cleaner.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Since Knoppix cannot recognize and configure your wlan hardware at startup, you may try the ndiswrapper method.
Take a look at
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ
Start from FAQ 2 and read forward. I tried it on some older generation of Dell laptops but not the new one. Let us know if it is working or not.
Rgds,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By patrickf3 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-30-2007, 02:29 AM
-
By manne-p in forum German Forum
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-27-2005, 12:22 PM
-
By knop in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
-
By anotherulrich in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By NiLS-Da-BuBi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-21-2003, 07:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00